Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box > INSTRUMENTS - Suggestions
View Poll Results: How would you like these new instruments to be distributed?
Put them as part of RA 8 61.54%
Put them as part of Gypsy 0 0%
Put them as part of Silk 1 7.69%
Add them as part of Hollywood World Instruments 4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Platinum² Member

pkm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
When I looked at the Europe section of RA, one instrument I didn't see is the bodhrán. I found a frame drum, but I'm not sure if that's the same instrument. Here's another one, the cipín.
A bodhran is a type of frame drum. Cipin is the name of the beater.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM

TerraSin is on a distinguished road

I can't really see voting on this because there are many instruments I'd like to see done that don't really fit. Things like European instruments that are somewhat forgotten such as different styles of Lute which was sadly not included in RA.

I think if they did record these, they would end up being stand alone rather than addons to existing libraries and they aren't really "Hollywood" type instruments.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

flickerflix is on a distinguished road

There are also lots of basic samples of world instruments, some of which Soundsonline sells. I would certainly like to see more libraries like Silk, where there are performances as well as samples.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

MPDmike is on a distinguished road

Good world instrument libraries are useful for adding some ethnic authenticity to a score. But as it is less likely that the user will be familiar with the playing techniques of such instruments, there is an opportunity here for offering comprehensive examples of the way these instruments are normally played, so that they can be used without having to spend lots of time studying their technicalities.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDmike View Post
Good world instrument libraries are useful for adding some ethnic authenticity to a score. But as it is less likely that the user will be familiar with the playing techniques of such instruments, there is an opportunity here for offering comprehensive examples of the way these instruments are normally played, so that they can be used without having to spend lots of time studying their technicalities.
Yup, that's why I agree with flickerflix.

Performances only would be very limiting on true creativity in my opinion, but it is an important learning tool. Learn it, and then use regular, non-performance samples to create your own!
They did it with some of the instruments on SD3, where the higher keys play performances so you can get an idea of the usual grooves these types of drums play. Really helpful stuff.
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Closed Thread