Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box > INSTRUMENTS - Suggestions
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:40 AM

chongyunxiang is on a distinguished road
Default Electronic or Dubstep synthesizer/library?

It'll be really awesome to have an electronic or dubstep synthesizer/library. Maybe one that allows user to easily create their own sounds apart from using the pre-made sounds! I know 8dio has one, but its all pre-made if I'm not wrong.

And creating dubstep from scratch using a synthesizer isn't easy to people like me who aren't sound designers.

It's just a thought.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:20 AM
Diamond Member

interpolate is on a distinguished road

Dubstep, 2-Step and Trap are all the same thing to me. Trap sounds more old school in some respects. Native Instruments Komplete is a good place to look if that's the sort of thing you want to create.

Although there's no set rules.

I couldn't really see EWQL doing that as they seem to concentrate of capturing acoustic things not synthetic (with the exceptions of The Dark Side and Ghostwriter). Although I may be wrong.

I know the whole point of your post was because you're not a sound designer and this is what separates real musicians from tech heads. Synthesis takes time to learn and it's mostly experimentation. Some things like what I mentioned before act as a great starting point as you can learn how to change things to your will by experimenting.

Update coming over the next few months:

Obligatory software list: Sonar X4 Platinum, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, EWQL Symphonic Choir Bundle, QL Spaces, VSL Suite, EWQL Hollywood Brass/Strings Gold, QL Solo Violin, Universal Audio Plug-ins and some other things with knobs and buttons.

Current system: AMD Phenom X6 1090T 3.2GHz, 8GB, 512GB/750GB hard drives and 256GB SSD drive, EMU 1212M, UAD DSP.

Last edited by interpolate; 08-10-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

springverb is on a distinguished road

I don't create or listen to such music, but IMO having those unique synth sounds is a must when it comes to dubstep or its the same "wub wub wub". If EW creates such an instrument, it would be pretty limited in that aspect and there wont be much to create own sounds.

A drum library. Well maybe. But i dont think synths is a great idea.
Then ofcourse, this is my opinion.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:10 PM

DraperCompositions is on a distinguished road

I think I get where you are coming from. However I would prefer them add those sounds either as a percussive element in the stormdrum 2 or 3, or part of Goliath because real dubstep, electronic music and sound design are entirely different than scoring acoustic instruments. If they gave us sample sound for dubstep and electronic music like they do for the other instruments, everything created from the software would probably be way too similar. However if EW found a way to do this well, I would totally enjoy having it!
Hollywood Strings, Hollywood Brass, Hollywood Woodwinds, Goliath, Silk, Stormdrum 2, Voices of Passion, Spaces
Old 08-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Diamond Member

You know that they could use waveform synthesis, sampled from high end moog.access virus, novation and the likes of clavia nord. Have an interface with oscillators, envelope followers so people could have a 64-bit synthesizer. Possibly that might require a bit more than the play engine although if they can sample real things why not synthetic.

The biggest challenge might be emulating the timbre or tone of some analogue synths.

Obligatory software list: Sonar X4 Platinum, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, EWQL Symphonic Choir Bundle, QL Spaces, VSL Suite, EWQL Hollywood Brass/Strings Gold, QL Solo Violin, Universal Audio Plug-ins and some other things with knobs and buttons.

Current system: AMD Phenom X6 1090T 3.2GHz, 8GB, 512GB/750GB hard drives and 256GB SSD drive, EMU 1212M, UAD DSP.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpolate View Post
Have an interface with oscillators, envelope followers so people could have a 64-bit synthesizer. Possibly that might require a bit more than the play engine although if they can sample real things why not synthetic.
Agreed

If done it would (or I feel should) have a lot of control over the sounds; not just a simple interface like most libraries. Perhaps similar to how Symphonic Choirs has a separate wordbuilder page, but in this case tons of synth controls
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Annabelle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Annabelle

Are you thinking of something along the lines of drum machines?

Music is the key to happiness and Joy. While the home of peace and harmony is The City Of Brotherly Love. Welcome home to Philadelphia!

Hardware:
Rockbox MC5XS Desktop, Intel Core I5 Processor, 3.30GHZ, 500GB Primary Drive, 1TB Recording Drive, 1TB Samples Drive, Motu 896HD Audio Interface, Akai MPK25 MIDI Controller
Software:
Windows 7 64 Bit, JAWS (Job Access With Speech) 10.0 Screenreader, Caketalking 8.5 for Sonar Accessibility Software, Sonar 8.5 Producer Edition, Play VST 64 Bit
Eastwest Quantum Leap Instruments:
Goliath, Gypsy, Pianos, RA, Stormdrums 2, Symphonic Choirs, Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Voices Of Passion
Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Diamond Member

If you embed an effects section for ssl then you can dovthe same for envelope genetators. So you wiuld start with your initial sounds. Creating a new synth might be a better option.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 AM

chongyunxiang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraperCompositions View Post
If they gave us sample sound for dubstep and electronic music like they do for the other instruments, everything created from the software would probably be way too similar. However if EW found a way to do this well, I would totally enjoy having it!
It'll be super awesome if EW provides samples of electronic sounds, then we can mix and match these sounds. Tweak it with Oscillators, Filters and ADSR, or maybe even create simple interfaces like a knob that when activated, pitch bends the sound down or up. Like those dubstep bass drops.

Maybe even glitching effects like Modulation, Gating, Reverse, Delay, Tape Stop, etc, like Illformed Glitch and Effectrix!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

This looks pretty cool and might fit the bill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ETpZ8CdDiw