Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 02-25-2019, 09:47 AM

TonyF is on a distinguished road
Default to reverb or not

Hello,

One of the things that struck me as a better way of creating orchestral libraries is what EW did with HO in that all the instruments were recorded in the same ambient "space" providing a uniform consistency across instruments.

Granted there is allot of tweaking available (mics and positions) but uniform raw sampling/recording makes allot of sense.

What I'm finding is that using older libraries and libraries from different developers, the "programmed" reverb in the patches is anything but consistent.

My question is, does it make sense to shut off the reverb in the "patch" and apply reverb globally from within the DAW in an effort to achieve a consistent ambience?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

Hi Tony,

this is what template balancing is all about - creating consistency between libraries (from the same developer or different developers) where there is none. It's a huge undertaking that nobody with a sane mind could possibly enjoy (I'm saying this as an insane person)

Hyperbole aside, it's difficult for many, many reasons. One of which, as you correctly identified, is reverb. I prefer "dry" libraries over "wet" ones any day of the week because they give you more of a possibility to shape your sound. If the wet libraries you have provide any information on where they were recorded, you could probably try and see if your reverb plugin has an impulse that emulates a similar space. That way, you could adjust your dry libraries to sound more similar to your wet ones. Adding reverb is always easier than trying to remove it. Even if you remove release trails (or shorten the envelope) from a wet library, the notes themselves will still be "wet".

Another factor is loudness/volume, and that's more complicated than it sounds. Even if you adjust Library A to be as loud as Library B at a volume level of 127 (velocity, mod-wheel, whatever controls loudness there), velocity layers are mostly non-linear. Now they might be off when both have a value of 55 or 1. It's a pain in the behind.

Then there's EQ, my personal nemesis. Just the words "frequencies", "band" or "hertz" make me want to beat my head in with a tire iron.

When you say "programmed" reverb, do you mean reverb within a patch that can be turned off (not recorded, but a reverb plug-in within the patch)? If so, turning that off and doing everything in-DAW is certainly your best option!

Sorry for digressing and writing a bit of a novel here; I'm just hoping someone might consider this useful.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 PM

TonyF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Raab View Post
Hi Tony,

When you say "programmed" reverb, do you mean reverb within a patch that can be turned off (not recorded, but a reverb plug-in within the patch)?
Yes.

What I'm hearing is some muddy-ness (or lack of clarity) that I attribute to patches with different "baked in" or programmed reverb types (and variables) causing too many disparate and varied reflections.

My room is only partially treated but I don't think it's that because other material sounds ok.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:06 AM

Thierry L is on a distinguished road

Hi Tony,

just like Dominik, I had a hard time trying to make different libraries sound good together. In the end, my conclusion is (so far) that EW has the best orchestral libraries, so I'm no longer losing my time creating templates that include everything that sounds good.

For the strings, I use the close mic of Symphonic Orchestra (panned closer to the center) and the Main mic of Hollywood Orchestra with no EQ and just a reverb (Space of course) on the string group.
For the brass I often add a little of the Hall mic of SO, but not that much.
Played together SO and the Hollywood series create an incredibly dynamic, realistic and detailed orchestra that just need the right reverb on each group, et voilą !

To Dominik :
I no longer EQ these orchestral libraries, and it's a huge time (and nerves !) saver ! I prefer EQing (?) the mix/master bus globally. Just like you, I hope that sharing some technical information about those Titanesque libraries can help !
Old 03-02-2019, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

Thierry, thanks for your input! I'm a pretty bad hobbyist, and EQing is my Achilles heel. I usually just try to get the low end under control and have found that using a high-pass filter on the reverb alone (Spaces II has one built in, thank god) already clears that stuff up. A tiny little low-cut on the sum usually makes it clean enough for my hobbyist purposes.