Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Diamond Member

A.Leung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlady View Post
I'm getting two 500 seagate 7200 drives and am looking at dual enclosures either FW 800 or SATA for my sample libraries EWQLSO, Choirs , RA Fab Four , Gypsy etc. Will i see much of an increase in performance in streaming and bottlenecks using SATA which would also require me to get PCI card for my G5 as opposed to using FW800.?

thanks, Craig
Which SATA? I ? II? The chart should help you make that desicion. If it were ME - I'd go for SATA.

USB2 = USB 2.0 port rated at 48MB/s
1394a FW400 = FireWire 400 port rated at up to 40MB/s
1394b FW800 = FireWire 800 port rated at up to 80MB/s
SATA = SATA port rated at up to 150MB/s
SATA2 = SATA II port rated at up to 300MB/s
Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

chlady is on a distinguished road

SATA I are the seagate drives I was looking at as they are only $75. So what is a good pci 2 port SATA card that is reasonably priced ? And is there big difference in performance between different brand SATA controller cards as they seem to vary quite a bit in price?

DP 9.5.1, Mac Pro 3.33 GHZ 12 core , OS 10.10.5, 64GB ram

EWQLSO Platinum Plus, EWSC, Fab Four, Gypsy, RA, Silk, EWSolo Violin, Pro Drummer, Hollywood Strings, Hollywood Brass,, Hollywood WW, Hollywood Percussion, Spaces, VE Pro 5, Komplete 11 ultimate, Arturia Collection5, Project Sam Symphobia, Spitfire Orchestra,
MOTU 2408mk3, UA Apollo 8, and UA plugins, SSD HDs,
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Diamond Member

Oh I've seen Belkin Serial ATA PCI Cards for like between $35.00 - $65.00. It offers a data throughput rate of up to 150 MBps. Not a bad solution for connecting up to two, large-capacity serial ATA hard drives.

http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/t...V?mv_pc=nextag
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

V o n h ÷ g e n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Leung View Post
Which SATA? I ? II? The chart should help you make that desicion.
(...)
SATA = SATA port rated at up to 150MB/s
SATA2 = SATA II port rated at up to 300MB/s
Why SATA II? Sorry, but that 300MB/s number is just theoretical. The SATA II throughput rate exceeds the transfer rate of all HDDs available today, including the fastest Solid State Disks! The actual HDD data transfer rate is limited to the so-called 'sustainable' data rate of your HDD, which is around 115MB/s at best. This is well below the throughput limit of SATA I. Even more shockingly, perhaps: it is still within the boundaries of the old PATA/133 specs!

By the way, there is no such thing as SATA II-only drives, since all SATA HDD will work just fine with SATA I.

The only reason I can think of for using SATA II would be the burst rate of the new Western Digital Velociraptor which, at 247 MB/s, truely exceeds the SATA I/150 specification. However, such a burst rate would only help to reduce the access time of the drive. It won't improve the (non-burst) throughput, which is still less than 150 Mb/s.

- Jerome Vonh÷gen

Last edited by V o n h ÷ g e n; 05-08-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H o k e t u s View Post
Why SATA II? Sorry, but that 300MB/s number is just theoretical. The SATA II throughput rate exceeds the transfer rate of all HDDs available today, including the fastest Solid State Disks! The actual HDD data transfer rate is limited to the so-called 'sustainable' data rate of your HDD, which is around 115MB/s at best. This is well below the throughput limit of SATA I. Even more shockingly, perhaps: it is still within the boundaries of the old PATA/133 specs!

By the way, there is no such thing as SATA II-only drives, since all SATA HDD will work just fine with SATA I.

The only reason I can think of for using SATA II would be the burst rate of the new Western Digital Velociraptor which, at 247 MB/s, truely exceeds the SATA I/150 specification. However, such a burst rate would only help to reduce the access time of the drive. It won't improve the (non-burst) throughput, which is still less than 150 Mb/s.

- Jerome Vonh÷gen
It's up to individual results. I was much happier with my samlpe libraries on SATA Velociraptor drives than anything I've had with f/w 4 or 800 and well - I wouldnt even consider USB. But then thats just me. To each his own. Your mileage may vary.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Leung View Post
I was much happier with my samlpe libraries on SATA Velociraptor drives than anything I've had

I'm impressed that you managed to get the new 300Gb Velociraptor so fast! I'm afraid I will have to wait a few more weeks before my order can be processed. I still haven't seen one in Europe, despite the official worldwide presentation of the drive.

- Jerome Vonh÷gen
Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 AM

charles is on a distinguished road

Just wondering--Do the 4 internal SATA hard drive slots on the Mac Pro all share a bus, or are they independent?

Could make a difference in comparing performance w/internal drives
vs. PCI SATA card connected to external SATA drives in an enclosure.

Thanks,
Charles
Old 05-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Silver Member

chlady is on a distinguished road

Thanks Allan for the info. I should have also stated I'm getting a dual external enclosure since I'll keep the 2 drives that I already have in my Dual G5 so will need a card with external ports.

Craig

DP 9.5.1, Mac Pro 3.33 GHZ 12 core , OS 10.10.5, 64GB ram

EWQLSO Platinum Plus, EWSC, Fab Four, Gypsy, RA, Silk, EWSolo Violin, Pro Drummer, Hollywood Strings, Hollywood Brass,, Hollywood WW, Hollywood Percussion, Spaces, VE Pro 5, Komplete 11 ultimate, Arturia Collection5, Project Sam Symphobia, Spitfire Orchestra,
MOTU 2408mk3, UA Apollo 8, and UA plugins, SSD HDs,
Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

Kostas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H o k e t u s View Post

- Jerome Vonh÷gen
This is quite helpful post you know, I was thinking to buy a glyph 50q with SATA I connection which sounds a bit old in comparison to SATA II but now I think it's not so bad (if you're right of course ) i don't like to buy something that can cause hiccup and such to my system (aka hoketus!!)

-Kostas
Old 05-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
This is quite helpful post you know, I was thinking to buy a glyph 50q with SATA I connection which sounds a bit old in comparison to SATA II but now I think it's not so bad (if you're right of course )
Trust me...

By the way, I believe the Glyph is not a regular SATA drive, but a quad interface drive consisting of several linked Seagate drives, isn't it? It looks nice, but I wonder if you have ever considered buying the new WD Velociraptor. The access time of that drive can only be beaten by SSD's. The access time of the glyph 50q is just avarage, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
(...) something that can cause hiccup and such to my system (aka hoketus!!)

- Jerome Vonh÷gen
Closed Thread