Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 01-26-2018, 06:52 AM

sadlersongs123 is on a distinguished road
Default New Laptop questions

Hi, all! I currently have a late 15" 2011 Macbook Pro. It has 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB of RAM (back when you could upgrade the RAM), and 500GB HDD (not solid state). I can have a lot of EastWest samples loaded up and only occasionally see some lag. I want a new laptop because this one is pretty heavy and it can occasionally come to a crawl when I am video editing. It also takes a while for it to start and get warmed up.

I am thinking of getting an HP Spectre x360 15". It has only 1.8 GHz but it uses the 8th generation of the i7 chip and is quad core. It also will have a SSD and 16GB of RAM. Do you think it will be able to out perform my current Macbook Pro? I'm mainly worried about the 1.8 vs 2.2 GHz. Does having a quad core make up for that difference? Also having an SSD will make a big difference in the sample streaming, yes?

I really want to get away from Apple. They are just too expensive. It seems like you are paying extra for the Apple name, similar to the Chanel or LV bags that my wife likes. There are a lot of Windows laptops with very similar specs for half the price. I'm a little hesitant to crossing over to Windows. Has anyone else made the switch?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I'd spend the extra and get a newer (or new) MacBook Pro...I have a 2013 2.3 i7 and it's still a beast. Keep in mind, you still need to host our libraries on a drive separate from the main drive. The MacBooks have Thunderbolt as well, and you are already familiar with GarageBand (Logic Pro is awesome!).

Alternately, have you tried using an external for your libraries? If not, that current drive you are using is definitely a culprit for your lag; and it's probably a 5200rpm which is a big no-no. Those libs you are using aren't very demanding, so your current setup might suffice if you try an external drive....and I'm pretty sure yours has Thunderbolt and FW (don't use USB2). Also, an audio interface would be beneficial.

I'm not 100% sure, but I heard that you can take out the CD drive in the MacBook (optical), and install an SSD. That would be the way to go!
Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
Honestly, I'd spend the extra and get a newer (or new) MacBook Pro...I have a 2013 2.3 i7 and it's still a beast. Keep in mind, you still need to host our libraries on a drive separate from the main drive. The MacBooks have Thunderbolt as well, and you are already familiar with GarageBand (Logic Pro is awesome!).

Alternately, have you tried using an external for your libraries? If not, that current drive you are using is definitely a culprit for your lag; and it's probably a 5200rpm which is a big no-no. Those libs you are using aren't very demanding, so your current setup might suffice if you try an external drive....and I'm pretty sure yours has Thunderbolt and FW (don't use USB2). Also, an audio interface would be beneficial.

I'm not 100% sure, but I heard that you can take out the CD drive in the MacBook (optical), and install an SSD. That would be the way to go!
I have heard about the Super Drive replacement, I'll have to check that out! I just checked at the RPM of my HDD is 5400. Under optimal conditions I can easily use Hollywood Strings and Brass and whatnot. I think the hiccup comes from when my RAM is running low from other programs. I usually either restart or clear with a program called MemoryFreer. My laptop starts to struggle and gets pretty hot when I'm editing with iMovie (while sifting through a lot of videos from our most recent family vacation). I guess I mainly want a new computer because this one is old and doesn't have any new features on it. I just want to know if the new one I get will be able to keep up. I assume it will since it meets the specifications and surpasses my current MBP.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

At 1.8 GHz, I would look for something more beefy. And perhaps a laptop that can hold a secondary SSD...as you'll need a dedicated drive(s) for the libraries. I'm actually surprised you could run Hollywood Strings from your internal 5200!!
Old 01-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Definitely with Jeremy on this one: 1,8GHz - even if you can OC it to 4,0GHz - is just
not going to be enough. Another problem with your HP Spectre is, as previously
pointed out, that the harddrive is not strong enough.

And I strongly dissuade from using an internal OS drive (no matter if 5200, 5400
or even 7200rpm), and instead recommend using a separate drive, which can
also be located internally.

An SSD is definitely the best option for sample streaming. With your current
set-up, an internal connection is not feasible, so only external is possible. Do
you have USB 3.0?

Concerning your RAM usage: I think the problem might be with all those other
programs that are concurrently running, when youre composing. With 16GB
of RAM, this should not be enough so that it runs "pretty hot".
Whats your RAM-usage, when this happens?

Instead, I think that whats happening is that youve got too large a project
loaded, with too many samples , so that the CPU - which is prone to getting
overheated - has to start working to switch out the samples in real-time
according to usage.
Sample purges and multiple bounces for finished tracks can help here.

Ive had the same problem myself, albeit on another scale, and here is the answer:
http://soundsonline-forums.com/showt...50162&p=759191

Concerning switching to PC: Im not going to continue on the eternal love-hate
relationship we users have with the different OS. It usually is true, that WIN
is cheaper.
Im not too sure about your location, but here in Germany we have specialized
tech-companies that excell in producing audio workstations for their clients.
I randomly upped the configs and got double your HP Spectre specs
for the same price.

Some helpful threads: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On Harddrives
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.30, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii

Last edited by LMW; 01-26-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:07 PM

Ive narrowed it down to the Dell XPS 15, 2.8 GHz, 16GB ram (which I’ll upgrade to 32GB later), and 512 SSD. It also has a touch screen because Im interested in Staffpad and want to try messing with that. Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

The Dell looks good. And Staffpad is awesome to doodle around with.
The instrument add-ons sound good, too (for all intents and purposes).
After two years, though, my stylus is malfunctioning, so Im still
hesitating over replacement or Dorico.

Some helpful threads: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On Harddrives
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.30, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii