Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 01-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Turner View Post
It's a 2012 MBP (i5 3210M). I've maxed out the RAM at 16GB.
You wouldn't benefit from using it as a slave, as that's where you want all the power and RAM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:18 PM

Shane Turner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
You wouldn't benefit from using it as a slave, as that's where you want all the power and RAM.
I'm not sure it would be enough to run as a master either, I might have to cut corners too much in the mixes. For a 2012 MPB I can't complain too much: I'm running 60 stereo audio channels with izotope neutron on it right now and it's holding together.

What are you using as a master?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

Dont bother with the MBP as a slave computer. The slave comp does all of the heavy lifting and should have big ram and processing power.

My master is an i7 950 with 24gb ram - built 5+ years ago. My slave comp is an i7 4790k with 32gb.
Im about to build a new slave with 64gb ram and an i7 6xxx or 7xxx and make my current slave the master.

The slave comp is for all libs on CC+ and i want to use multiple mic positions for HO. I have a number of CPU heavy instruments from other devs that means my i7 950 is just not cutting it any more.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Thanks! That gives me a good idea what the performance requirements are for running a template of Hollywood articulations.

I ended up getting an i7 8 core decked out with 128 GB ram, to arrive (fingers crossed) at the end of the week. Hoping it's enough to be able to run a template with my favorite articulations from Hollywood Gold X, a few other EWQL libraries, and a bunch of Spitfire symphony instruments.

Maybe I'll see if the MBP can function as a master first then, especially if all I do is bounce stems. It would definitely make setting up the slave considerably easier--install VEP, the libraries, and I'm ready to go.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Turner View Post

I ended up getting an i7 8 core decked out with 128 GB ram, to arrive (fingers crossed) at the end of the week. Hoping it's enough to be able to run a template with my favorite articulations from Hollywood Gold X, a few other EWQL libraries, and a bunch of Spitfire symphony instruments.

Maybe I'll see if the MBP can function as a master first then, especially if all I do is bounce stems. It would definitely make setting up the slave considerably easier--install VEP, the libraries, and I'm ready to go.
I don't think you'll need a slave, that's a beast!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Yeah I aimed high, hoping the templates could handle those beastly legato patches, aside from everything else!