Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 03-18-2018, 11:51 AM

suihcteg is on a distinguished road
Question What are the best resources for learning the Play engine inside and out?

Iím doing my first real project, recreating a 45-piece orchestral work using mostly EW Symphonic Orchestra, and trying to get it as close as possible. It sounds OK but it sounds kind of heavy and overdone, like when a kid doesnít quit with the fingerprints, until theyíre left with a heavy brown mess on the paper.

Itís real slow going, because Iím not real familiar with all the articulations, and it doesnít sound quite right, and Iíll pick through everything with a fine-tooth comb, and in the past Iíve gotten sort of burned out after spending so much time and I have a bunch of half finished projects saved on my computer.

But funny thing, Iíll play what Iím working on to anyone else and theyíll say ďgeez, I canít even tell itís not realĒ.

What are good resources for learning the Play engine, so I can get something done quicker and not get burned out or lose the creative spark?
Old 03-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

wcreed51 is on a distinguished road

There's a Goovr3 course on Play/EWQLSO:
https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/EW...stra-Explained

But really, studying orchestration is probably more what's needed.
Kontakt, VSL VI, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos
August Forster 190
Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

The manual is your best friend. And it's not so much Play itself, but the how each sound library is actually controlled, etc. And like Bill mentioned, orchestration... especially MIDI orchestration and techniques. YouTube is a good resource.

Could you post some samples of your work so that we can hear it?

Last edited by admin; 03-19-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:48 PM

PaulieDC is on a distinguished road

Use it, fight with it, argue with it... then you'll know it. I used it standalone at first until it became familiar, before ever plunking it in my DAW. And it's the one manual that's worth sending to your laser printer and digging a highlighter out of the drawer. Just my $.02.

I've watched a few of Eli Krantzberg's tutorials on Groove3 (incl the one wcreed51 listed above), and the guy is pretty thorough. I also like David Earl as a teacher and he has several courses on using EW libraries, and specifically one just on the Play Engine, v5, but still relevant: EastWest 101 - Learn the Play Engine
FWIW: Home Studio (for the moment): Hollywood Diamond Everything | Pianos, Symphonic Orchestra and Choirs Platinum | Komplete 11 Ultimate (plus Symphony Series) | PreSonus DAW & Hardware: Studio One Pro | Studio 192 into Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | M-Audio CODE 49 | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS / Taylor 618e v2.
"For He spake, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast." Ps. 33:9

Last edited by PaulieDC; 03-19-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added URL
Old 03-23-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
Could you post some samples of your work so that we can hear it?
What I'm working on is the Entr'acte from Phantom of the Opera, which starts out in 6/8 time. It sounds sort of tame and deliberate, with a strong "1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6" feel and not very animoso. I saw a video of a performance and it looks like marcato bowing, with a lively flow, but I can't seem to escape the "1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6" feel (and I've tried out patches from Hollywood Strings and Symphonic Orchestra).
Old 03-24-2018, 11:58 PM

Here's the version with all the instruments:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oMb...ew?usp=sharing

Here's the version with only the strings:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16of...ew?usp=sharing

Here's a real-live recording of the piece from Phantom which I'm trying to get a little closer to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bom174H_LuA

Any suggestions?