Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 07-20-2017, 10:50 AM

Yank Inches is on a distinguished road
Default Help Finding A Certain Sound

I have composer cloud and I pretty much have everything downloaded. I have been looking for a certain sound that I can't figure out. I think it might be a violin or viola. Really scratchy sounding. The best thing I can compare it to is the sound that starts off in Ben Lukas Boysen's Evensong which you can find on spotify or off The Dark Knight Soundtrack, the instrument that starts off Why So Serious? Does this exist in one of the East West packs?

Thank you to anyone that can help.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 AM

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

Gypsy > Violin > Violin Master > either C0, C#0, or Ab0 Keyswitch, depending on which you're looking for specifically.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Thank you so much for that quick reply, when I get home from work I will check this out.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2017, 05:11 AM
Silver Member

tommyrack13 is on a distinguished road

Don't know the Ben Lukas Boysen piece, but the Dark Knight track I'm familiar with (so, sorry if this is a little off the mark!).

The Gypsy Violin is definitely a good starting point. If you try layering it with a sul ponticello patch (there's a Viola sul pont in both HS and SO) it might give you more of that scratchy sound. Some of the SO string FX patches have some nice scratchy stuff going on. You can also try adding a high pass filter on the sul pont patches so you just get that scratch to layer in with your tonal material. Adding a touch of distortion or saturation would work wonders too.

T
Old 07-21-2017, 08:47 AM

Alright that's super helpful, thank you. I have to say I am still very very new to this program, so I am limited on my knowledge of "patches" and whatnot. Any useful tips or tutorials any of you would recommend to look at to get a better idea about patches like the ones recommended?

Once again I appreciate all the help!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

What are you struggling with? The terminology like "patch", "instrument" etc.? Or are you unfamiliar with the articulations such as "sul ponticello"? If it's the latter, a certain competitor company (won't link them here, but think capital of Austria and use Google) has an instrument academy where you can read up on classical instruments and their articulations for free.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:24 AM

Yeah at the time I didn't understand what the term "patch" meant in regards to this program but I have since come to learn. I am a bit fuzzy on things like sul ponticello and what not. I was in band for many many years in my youth so some of the bigger terminology, especially when regarding stringed instruments. I'm learning as I go.

I just posted a new song in the music cafe. Feel free to give me any feedback on it, as any would be appreciated. Thanks everyone for your help I found what I needed and will be using it in my next attempt.