Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 06-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuilding orchestral template - best practices for Play?

Good afternoon everyone:

I recently rebuilt my 8 year old custom built PC Audiolabs laptop, installing all new SSD drives (1 TB for boot and 2 x 2TB for sample drives). It has a Core i7 processor (with 8 cores) and 24 GB of RAM. Windows 7 professional, 64 bit.

Now I am putting together my orchestral template again, and I wonder what the current thinking is on how to best use Play in terms of computing resources. Should I use separate instances of Play for the powerful patches of Hollywood Strings, or is it ok to combine everything and just use as few instances as possible?

This is what I currently have:

HOW
Hollywood Strings
Hollywood Brass
HOP
SO
Symphonic Choirs
SD2
SD3
Solo Violin
Spaces
The Dark Side
Silk
RA
Goliath
VOP
Gypsy
MOR
Pianos
Fab Four
Hollywood Solo Violin
Hollywood Solo Cello

(plus Komplete 10 ultimate, Omnisphere, a lots more VSTs etc.).

Any thoughts about using Spaces? I thought of using separate instances for each of the instrument groups (woodwinds, brass, percussion, strings, solo strings), but this weekend I noticed the CPU usage going well over 80%, and pops and crackles.

Oh, I have a quadraphonic setup (stereo plus left and right rear speakers), so I am using the RR reverbs of Spaces for the rear speakers.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

wine888riter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Any thoughts about using Spaces? I thought of using separate instances for each of the instrument groups (woodwinds, brass, percussion, strings, solo strings), but this weekend I noticed the CPU usage going well over 80%, and pops and crackles.
Any reason, you can't use spaces at the end when everything is already recorded to tracks?

I guess it depends on how you work, but just working with everything dry reduces that resource need.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

In regards to reverb I've been messing around with 2-3 "multi-master" reverbs that use a blend of algorithmic and convolution (aka, Spaces)

My algorithmic choices vary depending on what I'm going for but the convolution is always spaces. The algorithmic certainly helps keep the CPU down

I haven't found the set "this is definitely it" sound, but I generally chain the sound Room -> Hall -> Ambient (Short -> Medium -> Long) and I've been happy with the results

I have the order of reverbs actually chaining into each other, the Logic being "Room reverb to glue them all together, process this now 'recorded in the same space' orchestra into a hall, like they may do in a recording studio" and then the ambient reverb mixed pretty low just for a little extra, subtle character. Only thing to be aware of doing this is any frequency build ups. Been looking and experimenting with the "Abbey Road Reverb" technique using filters (plenty of online material talking about it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 10.21.57 AM.jpg (11.4 KB, 187 views)
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 06-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Diamond Member

Thanks for the feedback guys ... I'll tinker around a little bit. Could also be that I'm mixing up different versions of Play (the VST2 and VST3 version), maybe the computer doesn't like that.

What about Play -- how many instruments do you load per instance? Is there a rule of thumb? I can remember there was a discussion about this, years ago, where Doug weighed in (?) but that was a long time ago.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

Can't weigh in on mixing VST2 and 3, just using the AU version

Instruments per instance vary, just really as much as I need. I go through VEP6 and may only load 2-4 EW wind instruments with a ton of Kontakt ones, where when you go to my brass instance of VEP6 it may be around 12...all varies on project/what I need
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 06-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4L88 View Post
Can't weigh in on mixing VST2 and 3, just using the AU version

Instruments per instance vary, just really as much as I need. I go through VEP6 and may only load 2-4 EW wind instruments with a ton of Kontakt ones, where when you go to my brass instance of VEP6 it may be around 12...all varies on project/what I need

Thanks ... yes, that's what I usually do, but I end up spending too much time setting up projects (plus not using many instruments I have, as I tend to go the ones I have used before). So what I am doing now is putting together a standard orchestral template with the usual (not everything under the sun).

I guess I'll have to experiment a little bit. As to the crackles and pops I mentioned earlier, I figured that that is probably related to an aging sound card (M Audio Projectmix) - it's probably getting a little dodgy. They weren't high end to begin with and now it is getting old.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

I use a separate instance for the big HS legato patches.

Apart from that i have a separate instance per instrument grow and write away.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

Oldfield is on a distinguished road

Is it an i7 920, or something like that?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfield View Post
Is it an i7 920, or something like that?
Core i7 950, 3.07Ghz clock speed. Not the latest or greatest in performance in the year 2017, but it still performs well.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

Oldfield is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Core i7 950, 3.07Ghz clock speed. Not the latest or greatest in performance in the year 2017, but it still performs well.
Thanks Peter, mine's just a 920, but OC'd to 4GHz and has been super stable since I got it (other than windows / irql_not_less_or_equal BSODs that happen very rarely).

Other than your SSD capacity, your PC is essentially exactly the same as mine specs-wise. If you can still run all those libraries reasonably well with 24GB on that system then I'll stick with this one and just upgrade to more SSDs... rather than buy a whole new system. (For the time being, anyway)