Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-25-2018, 09:29 PM

franky7103 is on a distinguished road
Default Hollywood Strings questions

Hi, I'm a new with this kind of stuff, so I've got two questions about Hollywood Strings.

The first one is about articulations. Is there another way to change the articulation without changing the instrument? I mean like playing legato notes, then staccato notes without the need of changing the instrument between each notes?

And the second question is about velocity. I don't own a midi controller, but can I somehow play with the velocity of the notes?

Thank you

Last edited by admin; 05-25-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:38 AM

widekeys is on a distinguished road

Not sure what exactly you mean by changing the instrument. You can load multiple patches into one play instance and play them on different midi channels routed to the same play instance. Your sequencer software most likely allows changing midi note channels on one midi track. Cubase has expressionmaps, they allow exactly this in a very elegant way.
Some patches provide keyswitching, which allows you to change articulation per key press. Others like the staccato mod patches allow you to change the articulation based on controller data (CC1 in the staccato case), read the documentation of HW Strings for further details.

For velocity and all other controller data there will also be an option in your sequencer software to change that.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

I believe Franky might be talking about the way some other libraries by other developers are set up, where you can define velocity areas for different articulations (low velocity is a quarter note, medium velocity is a half note, high velocity is a full note).

This is not possible with PLAY at the moment. Widekeys gave a few great suggestions on using your sequencer's/host's capabilities, so you might want to explore that. I'm pretty happy with how EW's instruments are set up, so I haven't dabbled in those possibilities a lot. It depends on your host of choice, too. What are you using?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:27 AM

QuestionGuy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to QuestionGuy

Just load all articulation you need on diffrent MIDI Channels, then you can change them note per note with Shortcuts. I put my MIDI channels on my Numpad for quick switching.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:17 PM

BATimus is on a distinguished road

Franky, if you are using Logic, look into Peter Schwartz's Articulation ID switcher (ARTz ID v.2) at https://www.skiswitcher.com. It really helped me out.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:40 AM

DAVEG is on a distinguished road
Default Hollywood Strings Articulation Question

Just started working with large libraries (such as HS) in Logic.

The most recent version of Logic allows creation of multiple Articulation Sets in which Logic's Articulation IDs can be mapped to (up to) 16 MIDI channels. So you can set up one PLAY instrument with up to 16 samples (one for each channel) and create a corresponding Articulation Set in Logic. So a single Logic instrument can be assigned that particular Articulation set and samples can be changed on the fly using Logic's pop-up menu (available, as far as I can tell in at least the Piano Roll and Score editors). I supposed one could also set up Smart Controls, but I generally never use these.
DG

Tags
articulation, hollywood strings, instrument, midi controller, velocity