Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 PM

jkoseattle is on a distinguished road
Default How is articulation switching normally done?

I'm a long time Orchestral Gold user, and brand new to CCX. With OG I've always used Master keyswitch patches and just inserted keyswitches into my tracks. In the Browser I've always seen those other patches available, such as "3 Clar NV Sus" or whatever, and thought it seemed so limiting. What if I want to phrase a certain passage with a few different articulations? i have to open a whole new track just for those few notes, which seems totally confusing. So I always wondered why people don't just use keyswitch patches all the time.

So now that I have CCX I'm finding out that most of the Hollywood orchestral series instruments -- all new to me with CCX -- don't have keyswitches at all, so if I want a passage to phrased such that it requires different articulations I'm supposed to make whole new tracks like I said above. ???

So I can't help but think- No, this can't be right. So how do people normally do this?
Old 05-07-2019, 10:58 PM

newew is on a distinguished road

Let me first say that as a newer user I'm no expert, but what I've learned so far is that other than keyswitching, there are two main other ways people do it:

a) yes, create a track for each articulation you want to use and insert the notes at t the right time. Typically people compose a part, then spread the notes around the tracks of the desired articulations.

b) The magic of Expression Maps. A controller lane that works like a keyswitch, but lets you load up multiple articulations and then, in that controller lane for a single midi track, signal which articulation you want to be played for which notes. It's like a custom keyswitch for switching between whatever patches you want. It's a function of your DAW, so search for "expression maps" and your daw and there's bound to be lots of videos about it.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:06 AM

danno is on a distinguished road

Depends on your DAW, but one way or another Play requires you to load up the separate patches in the browser and assign them to different MIDI channels, which then limits you to 16 patches maximum. In your DAW you use whatever articulation mechanism you have to switch MIDI channel based on the articulation. With the new Articulation Sets in Logic it's easy to set up, and clean without any keyswitching.

If you want more patches than 16, you can stick in some keyswitch patches so you're switching on MIDI channel and keyswitch, and Logic will automatically do that for you too without having to pollute your track with low notes.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

I use Cubase so I have the option of expression maps. I have used both but prefer separate tracks for each articulation as I find it helps with staking our layering of different articulations.

Either way works depending on your needs and workflow.