Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 AM

jkoseattle is on a distinguished road
Default Confused about solo violin slur

I am playing around with Hollywood Solo violin, and I'm trying to make a slide up to a note. I chose the Solo Violin Leg Slur patch, and turned on the legato script. I can make a slur effect sort of if I play notes representing both the start and end pitches of the slur. But when I do that, the start note continues to sound while the slur is going on up to the second note. What I want is a single note to slide. Is this a mod wheel thing? I must admit I just swapped out my old keyboard to a new one with a mod wheel, so I don't know how to configure it in Play yet. Is that the answer?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

A slur is the connected performance of the two notes. It sounds like what you are actually looking for is portamento which would give you the slide sound between the two notes.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Portamento does the same thing, plays the first note while the second note is being slid up to.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

The portamento, when you have the midi notes connected, should play the transition from one note to the other and it doesn't hold the bottom note beyond playing back the true transition
Old 05-10-2019, 12:39 PM

OK then something is wrong, because both notes are definitely playing together. I also am having instruments simply stop playing and I have to reload them. Totally reproducible, though it seems to happen randomly. I'm bringing this new issue up in a separate thread, however.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

There might me some confusion on your part in terms of what the scripts do. When using patches that have true legato (recorded legato transitions), you don't need the legato script. In fact, it can be counter-productive. It's mostly used to "fake" legato when there is no true legato available (in Sus patches, basically). I'm pretty sure your experience is going to be a lot better if you turn those scripts off!
Old 05-11-2019, 03:27 PM

danno is on a distinguished road

"Slide up" to a note - do you really mean that? People are answering "portamento" because you phrased it that way, but I'm guessing you simply mean a normal connected legato. Something different with VI's than playing an instrument is the degree to which you have to 'hang on' to the previous note while playing the next note to get a legato effect. This is because it is the primary mechanism the scripts (really C++ code) know you want a legato. In a real instrument - say the clarinet which I play - you can't overlap notes like that (except in special circumstances). Legato is achieved by instantaneous note switching combined with the physical air column still carrying on as you change notes - it works out to our ears. But VI's need a gross degree of note overlap to get the clue.

Second thing is I've also noticed that the solo violin wants to play initial notes with emphasis and detachment in some/many of the patches. I'm still learning how to play it but it is hard to get legato in many instances I've tried.

Otherwise your question is confusing and I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.