Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

ewkarl7777 is on a distinguished road
Default Is my EWQLSO too old to move to another computer?

Try not to cringe, but I'm still running EWQLSO Gold (Play 2.0.21) on an XP system (with no internet). I'd like to be able to swap back and forth between the old system and a new Windows 10 system.

I know I can copy the samples onto an external drive and move them to the new computer. But I'm not sure how to handle the VST file. Do I just copy that as well, or will I have to download a new version of Play?

Note that I have the old Blue version of the iLok key. I saw a post about it being incompatible with Play 6.

Is there a way to switch back and forth, between the old and new computers?

If not, how should I move EWQLSO to the new computer?

Thanks!!!
Custom Pro Studio DAW (Studiocat): Q6600 (running at 3GHz/1333MHz FSB), 8gb ram, dual-boot (xp32/64). FA-66, Sonar 7, Sibelius 5.2, EWQLSO Gold Complete (Play) w/Close and Surround Mic positions, Quantum Leap Pianos (Gold), Max/MSP, Visual Basic, Kurzweil K2500XS.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Hey,

that's ... an old system. But no problem, you'll be able to use
it on your new Windows 10 without any problem. Now, you
already mentioned that you know how to copy / paste the
libraries via an intermediary harddrive, great.

You can get the latest Play 6 version from the following link,
but as you noticed, it's not compatible with the iLok Gen 1 key.
http://www.soundsonline.com/Support?...ates&article=1

You can either move your license to a Machine License directly
on your computer to get that to work (moving the license doesn't
cost anything, so you can do that as many times as you like) or you
can download the Play 4 version (also from the above link, scroll a bit)
which would still support iLok Gen 1.

Once the library is in place, and the Play engine as well, you would just
need to move the license as desired. Either with Play 4 and the iLok key
or Play 6 and the Machine License.

I'd highly recommend the latter method. Play 6 includes quite a few
improvements which are very useful and helpful to the overall workflow.

You can move your license between computers using the iLok License Manager
on each device. (https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager)

To move it to a Machine License. Please download and install the iLok License Manager:
https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager You would need to sign-in on the computer and
plug in the iLok key. Then locate the license and control-click on it in order to de-activate it.
This will revert the license back to being available in your iLok Account. Then control-click
on it and again and select "Activate". As the location select your computer.

Cheers.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, OS & DAWs - "On Drives" is being Updated
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii

Last edited by LMW; 05-11-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:27 PM
Silver Member

LMW -

Wow. That was super helpful, but I kinda got lost on the last two paragraphs.

Remember that my old computer does not have an internet connection, so I can't deactivate my license (using the License Manager) there. However, I do have an icon on my desktop called "PLAY Authorization Wizard". Do you think I could use that to deactivate my license?

Also, why do I have to deactivate my license? I thought the whole point of the iLok key that IT was the license and that I could freely move it from computer to computer.

Thanks again!!!
Old 05-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

Unless I'm missing something obvious here (which does happen), I believe Lorenz is talking about computer licenses. EW has recently started allowing those - they're saved on your computer, not on a physical iLok stick. I don't think you need to do anything except plug your iLok into the new computer as long as you have an old/"normal" physical iLok license?
Old 05-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Hi Dominik! That would be great if all I had to do was move the physical iLok key. I guess I should give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks for replying!

Hmm, I didn't even get to first base. I tried to download Play 4 via the link that Lorenz provided, but it said that Play 4 is only for 32 bit systems. Mine is 64-bit. It said that I should use Play 5 for 64-bit, but I don't see where to download that, and I wonder if it supports the Gen 1 iLok key.

Any ideas?
Custom Pro Studio DAW (Studiocat): Q6600 (running at 3GHz/1333MHz FSB), 8gb ram, dual-boot (xp32/64). FA-66, Sonar 7, Sibelius 5.2, EWQLSO Gold Complete (Play) w/Close and Surround Mic positions, Quantum Leap Pianos (Gold), Max/MSP, Visual Basic, Kurzweil K2500XS.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Hey,

sorry, yeah, I updated my first post to better express what I meant.
Dominik got it right. With our licenses, you have the option of saving
them directly to your computer and not the iLok key.

You would, however, need to move the license manually yourself to the Machine.
Now, your license is on your "old Blue version of the iLok key", so you can follow along here:

To move it to a Machine License. Please download and install the iLok License Manager:
https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager You would need to sign-in on the computer and
plug in the iLok key. Then locate the license and control-click on it in order to de-activate it.
This will revert the license back to being available in your iLok Account. Then control-click
on it and again and select "Activate". As the location select your computer.

Play 4 is also 64-bit, but also has a 32-bit installer in addition.

Play 5 would actually also support the iLok 1 key. Here's the link for that.
http://software.soundsonline.com/Pro..._5.0.6_Win.zip

iLok Gen 1 is pretty old hardware and Play 5 also isn't our latest version,
which is why I'd recommend going down the Machine License / Play 6
route, but I'll leave that up to you.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Enjoy your Sunday, guys.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, OS & DAWs - "On Drives" is being Updated
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii
Old 05-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewkarl7777 View Post
Try not to cringe, but I'm still running EWQLSO Gold (Play 2.0.21) on an XP system (with no internet). I'd like to be able to swap back and forth between the old system and a new Windows 10 system.

I know I can copy the samples onto an external drive and move them to the new computer. But I'm not sure how to handle the VST file. Do I just copy that as well, or will I have to download a new version of Play?

Note that I have the old Blue version of the iLok key. I saw a post about it being incompatible with Play 6.

Is there a way to switch back and forth, between the old and new computers?

If not, how should I move EWQLSO to the new computer?

Thanks!!!
Hey man, age is just a number ... sorry, couldn't help myself.

If you want to move back and forth between the old computer and a new computer, I'd suggest the following:

1. Reinstall SO on the new computer using the Installation Center software, from scratch.

2. In terms of what version of Play to use on the new computer, my recommendation is Play 6, however if you want to continue to use the old computer, you're going to run into compatibility issues since:

a. Play 6 requires iLok2 or iLok3
b. iLok License Support requires Windows 7 or later

So you might want to stick with Play 5, and keep using your iLok first generation.

The machine license is nice but if you want to go back and forth between two computers, the easiest way to do this is with the iLok dongle.

If I were you, I'd probably just mothball the old computer, and upgrade to a brand new system and Play 6. Maybe sign up for cloud for a few months to make the transition easier.

Having a computer with no internet is kind of tedious as well ... this used to be the gold standard to avoid issues like viruses, but these days installation and upgrading of software is just so much easier if your DAW is hooked up to the internet. Not just EW, but Native Instruments, Waves, Sibelius, Dorico, Avid Pro Tools, Omnisphere ... all these companies have proprietary installation software which makes life a lot easier compared to the old (hello 60 DVDs in that huge shiny box).