Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Q&A with film composer David Newman

Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

Neo is on a distinguished road
Default Age, Finance & Education

Hi David!

Thank you so much for taking some time out to help shed light on this path of film scoring we are all venturing down.

I am wondering what your thoughts/feelings are for aspiring film composers who have come to music a little later on in life. Or said another way... composers with very little formal training (starting to play an instrument in their mid-20's let's say) and a limited education stemming from both independent studies as well as excellent private instruction.

When I mention instruction and studies I refer to music theory (counterpoint), orchestration etc. - not the technicalities of film scoring (business/legal/synchronizing adequately, fulfilling the director's vision etc,) which I know is a whole other realm. The general consensus has been to have a good theoretical foundation before attempting film scoring.

From this question some major concerns arise no matter how obvious or normal they may be (you don't have to answer each one)... like...

1. Should we concentrate more on developing a solid musical foundation before delving into film scoring?
2. Have we started too late to be taken seriously, be well respected in the field & succeed?
3. Should we go back to school and shell out more money - is the education or simply just being able to show you have a degree worth the investment?
4. Will we survive & be able to support a family?
5. Should we continue to work with a side job that may not be musically related & continue to do music on the side (half dedicated).
6. Should we just plunge in with reckless abandon, not look back and accept whatever comes.

These are such pressing concerns which more often than not lead to stagnation in composition & so much frustration that one can become paralyzed.

I am just very curious what your advice & feelings may be for us "late bloomers" who often struggle with these types of feelings & concerns.

Thank you so much!
~Dean Krommydas
Old 08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Special Guest

David Newman is on a distinguished road

I can't really answers this question. I think that the act of composing is not derived from "training", but to do music without training is very "scary!!!!!" You never know when you will get trumped and as we all feel to some degree "frauds" this just exacerbates the problem. I am a huge believer in training, but if you are too far along and can't take the time, I don't really think it has anything to do with the validity of your composition. Hope that makes sense. Training in music is incredibly slow and time intensive. If you don't do it as a child it's very hard to catch up. Not impossible, but hard, expensive and very very time consuming...hope this answers your question....
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Gold Member

Neo is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi David!

Thanks so much for the response. NO worries...it's not really an answer to a question I was looking for anyway - your reply couldn't have been better...

What I gain mostly from your response is further encouragment that if I have the time, energy, and money to keep up the training - then it is WELL worth it. While composing may be considered a "gift" which arguably can never be taught to composers....it is worthwhile no matter what gift one may have to hone, sculpt, & channel it through the tedium of training....

Thank you so much!