Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Q&A with film composer David Newman

Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

White Noise 2 is on a distinguished road
Default The importance of making an entrance...

Hi David,

My wife and I were watching 'How to lose a guy in 10 days' the other evening and after I noted how great the score was I noticed that I hadn't noticed the music enter for the cue that I was enjoying. I pointed this out to my wife and she agreed. We then spent the rest of the movie trying to 'notice' when the music would start to varying degrees of success. Getting in and out of a scene is a tricky business and I was wondering if you had any pointers as to things to look out for during a spotting session?

Thanks,

WN2
Old 08-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Special Guest

David Newman is on a distinguished road

spotting a movie is extremely difficult. My philosophy is to get in and out as surreptitiously as possible. When ever music starts it's a "big deal" as when it ends. It needs to motivated exclusively by the movie, character, story, etc. sometimes moving a start back or forward just a bit really helps. However, much of the time in a DUB, the director moves the music around to his taste. So it's not always the composer that is "in charge" of that kind of thing. It's a case by case "thing". When are are actually spotting the film, you just always think in terms of story - Where you start music has a big effect on the story of the movie....the CU or character, etc....it really influences things. Hope this helps