Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Piano Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Maudio BX5 Question: Loud Bass Frequencies. Room Question

Hello,

Recently I have been discovering that my Maudio Bx5s are accentuating bass frequencies, along with some high end stuff. This has been apparent when I have gone to play my mixes on other speakers to find that my low end way lower than I thought it was. I am trying to determine if it it is my placement (If I need to adjust the acoustic space switch on the back) or if I need a different pair of speakers.

As of now I am in a 10x10x9 (LxWxH) Room with carpeted floors and a single window along most of the length of the wall to the left of my mixing station. My Bx5s are currently exactly at 12" away from the wall. Unfortunately, they are not centered in the room. One is close to a corner, the back is facing into it a tad.

The only acoustic treatment I currently have are a few panels placed to the left and right of me, used a mirror for placement. I do not have any bass traps. I only have access to 6 of the tridhedral corners due to the room's door and a bookshelf.

Now, on the back of the Bx5s, there is an Acoustic Space switch. As of right now it is in the 0 position. The manual says to adjust this depending on how close the monitors are to the wall, but it does not indicate optimal distances. It says that the monitors should be placed at least 12" from the wall, so I wonder if I should have this set to the "close to wall" setting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Slave: Windows 10, CPU-Xeon 2680, Radeon 240, MB-Asus x99 WS-E 3.1, 64GB DDR4, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (OS), 2x Samsung 850 Evo 1TB (Samples), WD 1TB HD (Storage).

Samples: EW Hollywood Orchestra, Gypsy, Solo Violin, Choirs (expansion), Spaces. CCX.

DAW- Cubase, Protools, VEP5, Keyboard- Alesis Q88, Midi Controller- Nektar Panorama P1
Old 11-16-2016, 02:57 PM

2ndfork is on a distinguished road

We're using text to describe audio, so you know, I don't mean anything but to clarify: When you say you found "my low end way lower" do you mean that the bass seems out of balance? Or are you saying that you hear lower bass frequencies on other systems than you do at home? I'm suspecting you're talking about the bass balance, but it IS possible that some are actually being cut off by your home system. Computer sound cards do that - they cut off the bottom frequencies if your speakers are plugged into the speaker jack of the computer or something instead of into your audio interface. Not saying you did, just saying some people have.

Okay, so you say you're having a few issues with accentuating BOTH the low and high end? Another way to look at that is maybe you're not hearing the mids as you need to - that the mids aren't balancing well with the high and low, and so the ends seem to stick out?

Its only a guess but a safe one because that's historically always the bigger problem. In your setup, the bass and treble drivers are neither at their best in the midrange. Its just physics - the larger bass driver is a little sluggish up high because of its mass, and the high driver has the opposite problem at the lower end of its range. The crossover designer is trying to use a bit of sound from each of them at the same time to create a decent midrange. I'm sure its pretty good, but its a compromise and you get what you pay for.

If you're sitting up fairly close as you likely are in a 10' room, the distance between the two drivers means your ear can (consciously or not) detect the 2 separate sound sources on each side in the mid range, which each have a slightly different tone. It confuses your brain about what the tone is, and where it is. It makes it a little muddy.

Confessing my own sins, I had no idea what that really meant until I acquired a set of single driver Auratone clones. Auratones themselves don't sound spectacular, but when I listened to them for a while and switched back to the nearfields - WOW, it was obvious then. The Auratones weren't pretty but they were precise. My Nearfield mids sounded as focused and clear as cotton. And here I'd done all kinds of things to "fix the bass".

The room is what it is, and new speakers won't make that much difference unless you spend like 10 times as much. What I've found to work:

1) Get the speakers off the shelf or desk. Acoustic coupling from the speaker to the desk, or with each other through the desk or shelf, makes mid range mud worse. You could do that with isolation pads but...

2) The best thing I ever did was buy studio speaker sands and fill them with sand. (About $100 on sale) A lot of things happened: It ended any coupling, It made ALL speaker movements (and sound) crisper because the cones had a firm base to push off of. I think it especially matters with carpet - not just the weight and stiffness without any weird harmonics, but they have spikes to dig down to the actual floor and help stop any give or sway from being on carpet. And it enabled the next step.

3) Move them into an equilateral triangle farther away from the listening position - say a 6' triangle or a little more. Use a tape measure and make sure its the exact same distance from each other and from the speaker cone of each speaker to the listening position. Measure from the center of the tweeter cone and be anal. Yah, your desk will be out in the room some. The first time you hear it, you won't care. Play something like the "Dark side of the Moon". IMO, what happens is that the extra distance and exact placement helps neutralize the "two separate sources of mid range sound". The measurements help do all that you can to bring the sound into focus. For fairness, the room will still be what it is. In a larger space you can do other things like placement to minimize the impact of standing waves and moving away so that that first reflection from that close wall isn't almost as loud as the direct sound. But I don't think you'll regret making these kinds of changes.

I'm wary of treatments like you describe. Sorry, but if they are thin foam they only affect the higher frequencies - meaning they might screw up the balance of highs to lows more than they help with any other room problem.

But hey, one person's opinion... Keep or sweep as you think right, or as others better qualified might want to school me.
Closed Thread