Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 11-26-2016, 06:48 PM

siberuang is on a distinguished road
Default SSD or RAM upgrade?

Hi everyone!

At the moment, I'm using an 4-core i7 laptop with 8GB RAM. I mostly work with Hollywood Strings and EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, making symphonic works. Been using them for 2 months and really loving the sounds!

The Hollywood Strings samples are located in my laptop SSD, and the rest is stored in my external 1TB Touro 7200RPM HDD.

I also own a PC with 8-core AMD processor and 8GB RAM, but old HDD - I almost never use it anymore because the HDD is almost full, and it was for gaming.

I've saved enough to do an upgrade, I'm thinking of buying an external SSD (maybe 512GB or 1TB to store and stream the samples, replacing my 7200RPM HDD); but I'm also thinking of using my old PC for music production, upgrading the RAM to 32GB and buying a cheaper HDD (but sacrificing portability).

Which one would you think will be a better option? When working on big projects I tend to get memory limit warning - will using an extra SSD help with this, since the sound will be streamed from disk instead of filling up RAM?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Three things you definitely need...

1) At least 16GB Ram (I'm actually surprised you could run HS on 8GB!)

2) An external (or internal on PC) SSD to host the libraries...especially for HS. Your main drive should only be hosting Windows and your DAW.

3) An audio interface to handle latency
Old 11-28-2016, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Plus at least a USB3.0 port to get the transfer speed advantage of a SSD if going external, otherwise USB2.0 will be the bottle neck
USB2.0 is fine for keyboard controllers and External audio devices though.
I you end up needing a USB Hub I preferred using a Powered Hub when I was using a Laptop.
Doing all the DAW(in my case Pro tools) optimizations ups performance. It's amazing how the little optimizations add up.
I use 5 Samsung 850 EVO's(250 and 500gb) and they have been working very well, very fast.
Also try using the Play Purge Function to free up some memory and I also format my sample drives for 64kb allocation size to decrease I/O cycles.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:49 PM

siberuang is on a distinguished road

jspencer & mrdsee, thanks for the answers!

I think I'm going to go with 32GB RAM upgrade & new SSDs for my PC - 1 internal 256GB SSD for the OS & programs & 1 external 512GB SSD (formatted with 64kb allocation size) to store my samples, and connect them via USB3. Hopefully these will do good.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Not sure about the AMD CPU's for DAW use(Check the web for info). Since your going to upgrade, if you can get a 5820k or it's replacement model and a ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 mother board with a 750 watt power supply you will see a "massive performance gain" and be set for years. It's 6 actual cores + 6 virtual, not the 4(real cores) of the AMD. It can easily be overclocked(get a good cooler) to 4ghz+ and has all the SATA Internal SSD ports you'll ever need. Plus a USB3.1 port(Even Faster than SATA) for future use. I can give you specs on my system, it works flawlessly and is a powerhouse for virtual instruments and plug-in processor's use.