Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Q&A with film composer David Newman

Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Sp3ctre18 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sp3ctre18
Default Probably more for Marty: Whose budget pays what?

Hello, I hope it's "legal" for me to make a second post since I believe this might be more for Marty. Again, I would like to thank everyone who made this possible.

The topic title already gives you pretty much my whole question: whose budget pays for what? What does an employer, a movie / game studio typically cover that would be of concern of the composer, and what is expected to come from the composers budget? I am thinking in terms of both hardware and software.

I ask this from wondering what happens when the studio might have some sort of high standard you don't meet, or if the composer is relatively under-equipped, whether it's his sample library and software or hardware capabilities.

thank you!
This Can Be Pronounced: My Project for Supporting & Advising on Foreign Language Studies
Old 08-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Special Guest

David Newman is on a distinguished road

This is hard to say. You want the best "gear" possible but you can work with what you have. It's almost impossible to answer who pays for what as it really runs the gamut. The most important thing is to try to get an agent or lawyer who will negotiate this stuff for you - get you as much as possible and make sure you don't bet screwed (again as much as possible, because we have all been screwed one time or another)---