Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Piano Pete is on a distinguished road
Default VEP6 Thoughts?

Hello,

Has anyone upgraded to the new VEP6? Supposedly there are some nice updated features, quality of life improvements, and increased performance. I am curious to see other people's thoughts on it.

Slave: Windows 10, CPU-Xeon 2680, Radeon 240, MB-Asus x99 WS-E 3.1, 64GB DDR4, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (OS), 2x Samsung 850 Evo 1TB (Samples), WD 1TB HD (Storage).

Samples: EW Hollywood Orchestra, Gypsy, Solo Violin, Choirs (expansion), Spaces. CCX.

DAW- Cubase, Protools, VEP5, Keyboard- Alesis Q88, Midi Controller- Nektar Panorama P1
Old 08-05-2016, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

Jay Asher is on a distinguished road

I miss having one server widow where you see all the instances, but other than that I love it. The best feature perhaps is that because you can now use VST in in on Mac, your Play based VE Pro 6 templates can be used on both Mac and PC.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:19 AM

kennysynth is on a distinguished road
Default Automatic switch from <au> to <vst> on mac?

It was a pain that VEP metaframes are not compatible between OS X and Windows due to the use of <au> only on Mac.

Does VEP6 have a feature to switch from <au> to <vst> automatically on Mac?

If it is possible, I'd upgrade to VEP6 right now.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:12 AM
Silver Member

Jay Asher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennysynth View Post
It was a pain that VEP metaframes are not compatible between OS X and Windows due to the use of <au> only on Mac.

Does VEP6 have a feature to switch from <au> to <vst> automatically on Mac?

If it is possible, I'd upgrade to VEP6 right now.
Yes VE Pro 6 does allow VST on Mac so now you can create cross platform templates. It will not, however, automatically convert a template that has AU. How could it?
Old 08-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

Just got it and have had just a short time to mess with it, so just surface features, but so far I'm liking it. Didn't have any hiccups integrating it with Logic X. Haven't loaded my old template yet, was just doing some basic hosting

Absolutely love the auto-raise option. It was one of those things that was a minor annoyance in 5, but now that you have that option it's one of those "WHY WASN'T IT LIKE THIS BEFORE? THIS IS LUXURIOUS" moments

Tabbed instances are certainly nice and keeps everything neat and organized. No more having a ton of windows open finding the right instance.

I basically just quickly created two instances and added instruments from scratch and I felt like the whole process was just faster and easier

EDIT: Worked fine the first time. Decided to close it all and try it again...now it can't find the server ...had to manually type it in (note, not a slave set up, all on one local computer)

EDIT EDIT:So, uninstalled and reinstalled it...didn't help. Restarted the computer...and it's working! Tested it twice (i.e., close out of Logic and VEP6, then do it again) and it worked again. So, hopefully that's all it needed
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.2.1), OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite)
-Vienna Ensemble Pro 5
For Support: Play 4.3 (Buffer: 512, Max Voices: 512, Engine Level: High, Ram Buffer: Off)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 08-23-2016, 04:34 PM

ccmusicman is on a distinguished road

I wanted to say that I just updated to six and it is damn well worth the money. Right before I upgraded I took note of my CPU usage for a mid-sized template (maybe small for some of you) and I was running at about 5-6% idle, and about 30 to 50% while playing.

After updating to 6, my idle dropped to 1.5 to 2.5% and my playing never went over 27%. That's HUGE as far as CPU load goes. They made some major improvements with the backend scripting.

Also, the update was flawless. Entered in one of my license codes, downloaded on both machines, ran the update. It took care of everything. Loaded a template, it automatically loaded the 6 plugin and the 6 server without a single hiccup. Tested it, no problems on Cubase 8.5.

I'm hoping with Play 5 I will finally be able to use my EW stuff without issue.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

JBlongz is on a distinguished road

I no longer use VEP for new work, but upgraded because of old projects. I really like the new tabbed feature. Its saves time dragging and bouncing between windows. The upgrade is good value, especially or loading projects on a Mac that started in Windows. For a long time, I abandoned Windows-born projects. I'm happy to have them functioning again.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:02 PM

jcrosby is on a distinguished road

Running great here, it's been stable for me the past few weeks... Love the new tabbed browser. I can't say for sure whether I notice the insane CPU gains they claim, but overall it certainly does seem a lot zippier.

Master: Mac Pro 5,1, 12 Core 3.46 Ghz | 64 GB RAM | OSX 10.11.6

Slave Machine : Mac Mini Server 2012 Core i7, 16 GB RAM | OSX 10.11.6 | 2TB RAID 0

Metric Halo ULN-2 | M-Audio Axiom 61 | UAD-2 OCTO.

EWSO Gold / Hollywood Strings Gold / Hollywood Brass Gold / /HOW Gold / Hollywood Percussion Gold / Symphonic Choirs / Ghostwriter / Storm Drum 2 & 3 / Ministry Of Rock 2 / Ra / Silk / The Dark Side / Spaces
Old 10-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

JBlongz is on a distinguished road

Actually, in Ableton live (loading older VEP projects), I noticed higher significantly higher CPU usage. One project was a playing a drum kit from Dark Side and a guitar from MOR while CPU in Ableton (9.6.2) was +/- 40%. When I migrated the presets directly into Ableton (deleting the VEP instances), my cpu dropped to 9%. Not sure what that was about, but I'm happy I could migrate stuff as I'm pulling away from VEP. It could be that I'm running OS Sierra (I have to).

Last edited by JBlongz; 10-14-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:53 PM

jcrosby is on a distinguished road

Weird. Not seeing much difference between either on my side. Tried the same patch config you mentioned too.... Both hit around 7-8% depending on the buffer size. In Logic the difference is massive though. My CPU meter barely moves and VEP does all the work...

Might be the way Live uses CPU or how it interacts with VEP. could be Sierra though. OSX gets buggier with each new version... Never noticed a difference in Live though because I usually use it for writing electronic and hip hope tracks and do my heavy scoring stuff in Logic with VEP.

Master: Mac Pro 5,1, 12 Core 3.46 Ghz | 64 GB RAM | OSX 10.11.6

Slave Machine : Mac Mini Server 2012 Core i7, 16 GB RAM | OSX 10.11.6 | 2TB RAID 0

Metric Halo ULN-2 | M-Audio Axiom 61 | UAD-2 OCTO.

EWSO Gold / Hollywood Strings Gold / Hollywood Brass Gold / /HOW Gold / Hollywood Percussion Gold / Symphonic Choirs / Ghostwriter / Storm Drum 2 & 3 / Ministry Of Rock 2 / Ra / Silk / The Dark Side / Spaces