Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:39 PM

djhalleu is on a distinguished road
Default SSD for live PC setup

I have learned from a different forum:

"OS Drive = OS + sequencer / Preferably SSD.
Dedicated Sample Drive = Sample libraries only. One time write. Then read only! Preferably SSD.
Project Drive = Projects, exported audio etc. Due to the large amount of data that one can achieve
while exporting, 7200 rpms preferable. SSDs are a bit too costly for this."

I am buying in a pure SSD system I think, and what is best to buy ?

PURPOSED 2 SSD SETUP:
1) Buy Samsung850Evo 256GB as OS Drive
2) Buy Samsung850Evo 256GB as Sample Drive
I do not need project drive yet.

What am I using:
a) I have Quantum Leap Pianos, Silver Edition.
b) A limited edition of Hollywood Strings for 150$.
c) And I am thinking of using the Composer Cloud, but only small parts of it, maybe 2 months a year.

Is this smart for a live setup ?
Old 10-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

If you are planning on Composer Cloud, it would make sense to download Hollywood Strings and and QL Pianos....why not? In that case, I would go with at least a 500GB SSD for the sample drive. Will these drives be internal or external?
Old 10-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

If you're only going to use it live and only with the sample libraries you mention you should be fine.

But i think you should consider getting larger drives. I dont know how many times i've swamped my OS drive because i was running out of storage space, and then after using a regular bigger HDD it started getting slow after a while, so i replaced it with an 850Evo 1TB and it works great.

I also started with an 256GB SDD for my samples, but after getting more sample libraries it quickly became to small, so i had to get a new 1TB SSD. Now if i start running out of storage space again i dont have any room left in my computer to add more drives, so i will have to remove the smaller 256GB drive and that feels a bit like wasted money..
Old 10-13-2016, 12:50 AM

djhalleu is on a distinguished road

First let me add: I have room for 4 HDD drives in current PC, a Dell My Precious 490 (Dell Precision 490)

From you, jspencer, I hear that 500 is minimum. I agree with that, and I will probably buy 1x500GB SSD first. It will be internal in a older PC at first. Later I might buy a different PC system.

From Morten I learn that 1 GB is your minimum now. I think that is worth listening to. And dicern if I should buy 2x500gb or 1x1tb - I might use it at home too, so - firstly live - and then at home.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Been using 850EVO's for a while now and their working great.
I use a 250gb for the systems drive and it's way more than enough space since my systems lean on un-needed junk and after I download libraries etc and copy them to one of the 3 sample drives(500gb) and a external backup HDD I delete the files off of the systems drive. You'll also be fine with using a HDD(7200RPM/64mbCache)for sessions/recording drive when needed.