Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 11-04-2017, 09:15 PM

hag01 is on a distinguished road
Default Symphonic Orchestra and Goliath for live playing on keyboard?

OK I have Hollywood Orchestra, which is great for MIDI productions, but isn't playable on keyboard.
I'm thinking to purchase Symphonic Orchestra and Goliath, solely for live keyboard rig.

I need something with expression controled by velocity and not by mod wheel like Hollywood Orchestra, something with enough velocity layers for keyboard expressiveness, and genrally something that feels good when playing it on a MIDI keyboard.

Do you think those libraries will give me what I'm after?
Someone here ever used those libraries in a live keyboard rig in a band?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

jdmcox is on a distinguished road

If you use Windows, you should try PianoRollComposer with Hollywood Orchestra (it's free). I think it could be used to play live, although I'm not a musician and don't know enough about music to improvise, but it seems to have enough features to enable live playing after getting used to it.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:00 AM

widekeys is on a distinguished road

You can use something like Transmidifier (free) to redirect CC to velocity. Also you can also create your own mulits with keyswitch or program change.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:17 AM

hag01 is on a distinguished road

Hey, thank you for reply.
Actually I subscribed to composer cloud last week just to try some instrument I don't own yet.

Surprisingly, East West Symphonic Orchestra is extremely playable on keyboard and sounds fantastic.
I doubt there is a keyboard with on board orchestral set that sounds so good, except for maybe Korg Kronos with some expensive external library, and even than I'm doubt.

Also Goliath, has some great patches which are usable in a live keyboard playing, along with some patches that maybe great for MIDI production, but don't work for keyboard playing.

I think I'll try your advices just for general knowledge, I wanted to try this MIDI traformation trick for a long time, never tried it because I didn't have the equipment for that.

But I really just want to know whether anyone use East West Symphonic Orchestra, and\or Goliath or other East West instruments, in a live keyboard rig, or I'm the only nut on the internet who willing to use those things for live keyboard playing in a band.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

jdmcox is on a distinguished road

I used to use Symphonic Orchestra, but since I got Hollywood Orchestra, I haven't cared for it much. The Bosendorfer in Quantum Leap's Pianos is the best piano I've ever heard. PianoRollComposer can convert velocity to any MIDI control code (among other things). I vaguely remember forum members talking about using EWQL stuff in live performances a long time ago.