Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box

Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 AM

MarkS is on a distinguished road
Default Much needed improvements to EW Installer

There are a a great many issues with the installer. It feels like a very dated and under-resourced piece of software. I am on a Mac so I am unsure if the Windows experience is the same, but given that this runs on Java, I suspect it is similar.

My suggestions:

1) Develop native versions of the app for Mac and Windows. If not, at least make them feel native in their respective environments. Java had its day and still is great but this interface generally feels very clunky and unpolished. See next point.

2) Put a minimize window control on it. This app has to be open for quite literally dozens of hours at a time. It seems only sensible, given the background nature of the program, that it should be minimize-able so it can be brought to the foreground again when needed. For people with a single screen, having it remain open is a pain point.

3) When a download is in progress and the app is "Quit" Surely, the app so save the existing download queue and at least prompt about

4) Logs! Right now I have no obvious way to send logs to support should I encounter a problem. This would be most helpful.

5) Optional installation complete sound/notification of some sort.

6) Sort/Find. Low priority but helpful. One should easily be able to locate an instrument quickly.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2020, 08:32 AM

MarkS is on a distinguished road

Sorry...point three should read:

3) When a download is in progress and the app is "Quit", surely, the app should save all selections and the download status of any existing downloads, or at least prompt the user to ask if they wish to do so. My experience has been that the app closes "hot" and any if you didn't pause the download first, it doesn't resume but instead starts again. So one single click and you could have lost hours of download. If this is not possible then perhaps the downloader should intelligently determine what is already there and merely "repair" or add only what is needed.