Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box > INSTRUMENTS - Suggestions

Old 04-09-2020, 08:43 AM

J.G. is on a distinguished road
Default additional orch instr sounds, timbres and articulations

Hi
Hope you all stay safe given the circumstances...
As a classical composer it would be very useful and helpful to consider adding some more orchestra instruments sounds, timbres and articulations.
- bowed percussion: glocken, vibes, crotales, tam etc
- other perc fx like tam scrape with a coin, cymbal scrape, piatti swish etc.
- timpani effects like glissandi and superball fx
- add perc instr like whistles, fruilli sticks, wind sheet,
- different mallets (wool,wooden, metal, rubber) for pitched and unpitched
perc
- harmonics for Viola, Cello D.Bass
- Strings section effects (f.e. intense string pressure, glissandi, Ligeti fx, etc)
- trills for double basses
- harp glissandi major, minor (melodic and harmonic), dimin. augment.
arpeggios etc
- woodwinds scales in the same tempo or fit on the DAW project tempo
- and maybe prepared and picked piano...
[/B]
Thank you and keep up the excellent work! HSO is the best orchestra there is!!
Old 04-10-2020, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

MPDmike is on a distinguished road

I don't think EastWest is in the business of adding new instruments/articulations to their existing libraries. It seems that when a new library is published then that is it. I remember the outcry when Hollywood Orchestra didn't include a harp, and one was added as an afterthought, but that is pretty rare.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:25 AM

Nebulon Ranger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDmike View Post
I don't think EastWest is in the business of adding new instruments/articulations to their existing libraries. It seems that when a new library is published then that is it. I remember the outcry when Hollywood Orchestra didn't include a harp, and one was added as an afterthought, but that is pretty rare.
Well, here we are, a month and change later, and it seems someone was wrong.
[ Audient iD4 ]
[ Cakewalk SONAR Professional + FL Studio 12.2 64-bit // EW Composer Cloud X // Soundiron Lakeside Pipe Organ // Ample Sound AME II // Prominy SR5 Rock Bass // FXpansion BFD3 ]
Old 05-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

MPDmike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulon Ranger View Post
Well, here we are, a month and change later, and it seems someone was wrong.
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing? The new Opus edition will effectively be a new product with an upgrade route for those who already own Hollywood Orchestra.

If you read the information released it is clear that this is more than just adding extra articulations/instruments, the product has been re-engineered. In the past, EastWest has added extras to some libraries, like VOTA with Symphonic Choirs, but they came at extra cost.

If you are on a subscription then I guess it will not matter.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:23 AM

Nebulon Ranger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDmike View Post
I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing? The new Opus edition will effectively be a new product with an upgrade route for those who already own Hollywood Orchestra.

If you read the information released it is clear that this is more than just adding extra articulations/instruments, the product has been re-engineered. In the past, EastWest has added extras to some libraries, like VOTA with Symphonic Choirs, but they came at extra cost.

If you are on a subscription then I guess it will not matter.
The post's language specifically makes mention of it being "an expansion":

Quote:
Originally Posted by nviolette View Post
This newly recorded expansion of the acclaimed Hollywood Orchestra will boast over 230 Gigabytes of pristine new recordings and powerful new features ... Producers Doug Rogers and Nick Phoenix have also reworked the original content of Hollywood Orchestra (which is required along with the expansion) so the whole collection has a cohesive sound and an easier workflow.
Clearly this isn't a simple rerecording of the older content (though that in itself is a very good thing!), but also some new content being added to an old product series, even if it's being rebranded / rereleased as a new product. Opus is a bit of a weird one, so in actuality we're both kind of right.

E: here's me realising I kind of jumped the gun on this post, since we're saying the exact same thing! Yikes. My bad.
[ Audient iD4 ]
[ Cakewalk SONAR Professional + FL Studio 12.2 64-bit // EW Composer Cloud X // Soundiron Lakeside Pipe Organ // Ample Sound AME II // Prominy SR5 Rock Bass // FXpansion BFD3 ]