Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 04-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Jamie Diliberto is on a distinguished road
Default Hollywood Backup Singers - WORDBUILDER

I am finding it extremely difficult to get any real use out of the Wordbuilder feature ... that was a feature I was really hoping I could use. It's not intuitive and I'm having a hard time with getting it to sound like the actual words and follow the timing of my lead vocal phrasing. I'm not doing anything complicated rhythmically. What am I doing wrong? Or missing here? Is there an in-depth video / tutorial on Wordbuilder anywhere? I'd love to make this a go-to plugin and useful purchase. Thanks for any help you can offer.

For example ... I'm trying the get Hollywood Backup Singers to sing this line ...

For God so loved the world that he gave his only son that who believes in him might not perish but have eternal life

I have tried both the ENGLISH and VOTOX approach in the Wordbuilder ... also tried grabbing words from the Word library and phrases. Just not sounding close at all. I looked at the few videos on YouTube walking though the product, but there nothing there in-depth that is helping.

Blessings.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Hello Jamie,

what does your phrase currently sound like? Can you send us a file?
Are you using English or Votox?

For the use of Wordbuilder for building phrases, please refer to the tutorials below -

Wordbuilder syllables will need to have the proper pronunciations entered in using the ‘Votox’ option in the interface. The pronunciations need a careful understanding of the specific vowels you are entering in to the phrase.

For more information on this process, you will need to refer to the Wordbuilder Manual here to learn more on using the proper techniques for building syllables - https://www.soundsonline-forums.com/...de.pdf#page=23

Additionally, there is also the Time Editor, which governs the volume and lengths of the syllable phrases. If a syllable or specific letter is too loud / too soft or needs to be lengthened / shortened, you can do so using the corresponding syllable in the bottom portion of wordbuilder. By clicking the “+” sign at the bottom of that syllable, you can then edit the syllable’s volume or other MIDI CC parameters.

Adjusting the volumes of specific syllables to capture the accent of a word will help you to create more expression and realism with the use of Wordbuilder. There is more detail on explaining the use of the Time Editor as well as fully utilizing Wordbuilder in the following tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqFO4x57xlw&t=47s

In general, Wordbuilder is a bit of an advanced tool and takes some time and practice using its detailed features.

Cheers.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, My Template, Tips and Tricks, OS & DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung 1x T1 & 2x T5 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 7.5-10, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii
Old 04-23-2020, 02:22 PM

Default Hollywood Backup Singers - WORDBUILDER

Hi Lorenz, thank you for responding!

From my original post ... I have tried both the ENGLISH and VOTOX approach in the Wordbuilder ... also tried grabbing words from the Word library and phrases.

Here's the text ...
For God so loved the world that he gave his only son that who believes in him might not perish but have eternal life

How do I send you a file? I'm not sure what you're looking for?

Would it be possible for you to use the text I've provided and you put it into Wordbuilder and send it to me? That way I can see what you're doing. I'm not trying to avoid doing the work, I'm just wondering if it might be a helpful approach.

Thanks!
Jamie
Old 04-23-2020, 02:27 PM

P.S. - I've printed the manual and will be working with it. Looking forward to hearing back ... thanks again!
Old 04-24-2020, 04:11 AM

pwillis is on a distinguished road

I'm experiencing similar frustrations. One thing I'd love to be able to do with HBUS is play only one voice per key. Currently when I play a key I get three voices. Can this be changed?

Thank you!

Peter
Old 04-24-2020, 08:28 AM

Great question Peter! Looking forward to getting their reply.

I'm also curious if we can get the MIDI data from what HBUS creates ... that would be very useful as well.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:56 AM

MusicMind is on a distinguished road

Hello, If you guys at EastWest decide to work on Jamie's phrase, I would love to have a copy of that work.
Also, I can't get a good "s" or "z" sound. For example the word "sun" sounds like "un". I've work in the Time Editor but didn't find any solution.
Thank You
Old 04-24-2020, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillis View Post
I'm experiencing similar frustrations. One thing I'd love to be able to do with HBUS is play only one voice per key. Currently when I play a key I get three voices. Can this be changed?

Thank you!

Peter
The HW Backup Singers is a trio by design - and you cannot separate to get a solo voice
Old 04-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMind View Post
Hello, If you guys at EastWest decide to work on Jamie's phrase, I would love to have a copy of that work.
Also, I can't get a good "s" or "z" sound. For example the word "sun" sounds like "un". I've work in the Time Editor but didn't find any solution.
Thank You
Depending on the note in question, double the s in the votox, overlap the two and bring the second down at the tail before the vowel (See screenshot)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 5.48.42 PM.jpg (12.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:53 PM

Hi Lorenz & Michael, I'd still like your input to my reply/questions from yesterday @ 4:22pm. Thanks for all your help. Jamie