Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 04-30-2020, 07:56 AM

Lee Batchelor is on a distinguished road
Default SSD drives

I'm downloading all my EW files to an external disk drive but I think it's too slow for this work and I know EW recommends we use an SSD. My computer (PC) has two SSDs - 175 GB and 500 GB. They are too small for the EW files.

What are your recommendations for size, make, and vendors? I was thinking of a 2 TB Samsung perhaps from Canada Computers, Amazon, or Staples. Other suggestions welcome.

I live in Ontario, Canada, and will be buying online because of this Covid problem. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

I personally use Samsung SSDs (I'm sure others will chime in here as well)
Old 04-30-2020, 07:00 PM

Yes, I've heard they are very good. The T5 is an all around favorite. Thanks...M
Old 05-14-2020, 04:27 PM

currentsound is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpluebell View Post
I personally use Samsung SSDs (I'm sure others will chime in here as well)
Yes I also use Samsung SSDs. Once you go SSD you'll wonder why you used to sit around waiting for sounds to load during composing and music production. I used to drink some tea while the samples loaded. Now I don't know when to drink tea lol. I have a few 2tb 850s which were the biggest at the time. You can pick up a 4tb 860 for very cheap now. If you have room for an internal SSD, go with internal. SATA is probably not noticeably faster than a USB 3.0 drive but it's worth it in my opinion so that it doesn't accidentally get unplugged, lost or stolen. It's about the same price as two 2tb Samsung T5 USB drives anyway.

Nvme drives are faster and therefore they should theoretically load the samples faster but I haven't tested it, I just use SATA here. I think Samsung only make 2tb Nvme drives but this 4tb Nvme drive from Sabrent who I have never heard of to be honest seems popular on Amazon if you have the balls to try it: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocke...07ZQSDQDB?th=1
I think that is probably what I would use if I had a spare PCIE slot or m.2 slot and I was buying an SSD today. It's not cheap though. It costs a about $200 more than the Samsung 860 4tb. It would be interesting to see how much faster it loads the samples though. Spec wise it should load them much faster but there might be a bottleneck somewhere else that I'm not considering so I don't really know. If you were to partition it and use a portion as the boot drive for the OS, it would be worth it. I prefer to partition off the OS so you can image it/back it up and restore it easily but you could just keep everything on the one drive without partitioning.

Los Angeles Recording Studio, Music Production, Beat-Making, Mastering Studio and Final Mix Services
Old 05-14-2020, 04:45 PM

Good points, Current Sound.

I just moved my external 1 TB Samsung T5 SSD into my PC. There was one more SATA cable slot left.

My PC is an Acer with six USB slots. Three are "supposed" to be USB 3.0 but I'm having my doubts. Rumor has it that these PCs built in China have been erroneously labeled USB ports in blue! Using my Samsung T5 through one of these USB ports was marginally faster than an HDD. I suspect they are USB 2 because there was one hell of a bottleneck when copying EW library data between my other internal SSD and the external T5 SSD - on the order of an hour for the Strings alone!!!
Old 05-14-2020, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

RCRees is on a distinguished road
Default Samsung T5

I have been testing my libraries on an external T5 through a USB 3 port. Lightning fast loads.

www.rcreesmusic.com

Dell XPS 8300, Intel Core i7-2600, 8GB SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 6670, Windows 7 Home Premium, M-Audio Audiophile USB, M-Audio Keystation 61es; SONAR X3 Producer Edition (64bit); Colossus, Boesendorfer 290, EWQLSO Gold Complete, EWQL Pianos Platinum, EWQL Choirs Platinum, RA, Stormdrum2, Chris Hein Horns Vol1
Old 05-15-2020, 05:12 AM

Good to hear, Rob. Some of my sounds load into the Player very fast, some don't. I'll be trying this new configuration today. I still think some of my USB ports are incorrectly labeled.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:45 AM
Gold Member

RCRees is on a distinguished road

If you copied your samples from a non SSD, is it possible the samples loading slowly are still loading from the slower drive? Make sure that Play is looking to the right directory for each library.

Best
Rob

www.rcreesmusic.com

Dell XPS 8300, Intel Core i7-2600, 8GB SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 6670, Windows 7 Home Premium, M-Audio Audiophile USB, M-Audio Keystation 61es; SONAR X3 Producer Edition (64bit); Colossus, Boesendorfer 290, EWQLSO Gold Complete, EWQL Pianos Platinum, EWQL Choirs Platinum, RA, Stormdrum2, Chris Hein Horns Vol1
Old 05-15-2020, 09:43 AM

I'll check. Thanks Rob!
Old 05-15-2020, 09:52 AM

Okay, the source directory is correct, and the voices load very quickly now. The only thing I notice is after the loading is finished, the progress bar remains displayed for about 8 to 10 seconds before the voice is heard. Why is that? Is it a Cubase thing?