Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 05-20-2020, 06:43 PM

Dudo01 is on a distinguished road
Default Controlling the dynamics for EWQLSO by a MIDI-Controller without usage of velocity

Hello Community,

I'd like to completely control the dynamics of my EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Instruments by a dynamic MIDI-Controller like CC11 without any usage of Velocity for the following reason:
If I want to make a dynamic change like a crescendo/diminuendo, that's not possible via velocity, since the static velocity-value can't control the dynamic of an instrument after pressing the key.
However it doesn't seem to be possible to make a sound increase/decrease from pp to ff vice versa, because the dynamic range of an instruments seems to depend on the velocity a key is pressed with.
If an instrument is played with a low velocity appropriate to a pp-note, it's dynamic can not increase to ff by using a MIDI-controller, 'cause the dynamic range seems to be limited upwards by the soft velocity.
How can it be done to make an instrument swell from lowest level to maximum vice versa regardless of the velocity the note is played with?

Thxs, best,
Roman
Old 05-21-2020, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

michaelpluebell is on a distinguished road

Hey Roman,

From in the 'Instruments' tab you could set all velocity on instruments at a min of 127 - then control everything dynamically from CC11 - BUT - and a big caveat at that, all instruments would have the timbre of that top velocity layer performance and you'd just be controlling the volume of that.

Better with that library to use Velocity to get you in the vicinity of the actual sound you want and then control CC11. The Hollywood Series took this into consideration and all long notes are controlled by Midi CC while short notes are velocity sensitive - but you can't change the way the libraries are programmed
Old 05-21-2020, 04:33 PM

I see, Thxs a lot!
Old 05-21-2020, 06:52 PM

One note:

In some Patches of EWQLSO the CC1 is assigned to the timbre (dark or sharp) of the Instrument and CC11 is assigned to the volume.
Since I use the Breath Controller to control the sound, I'd like to make it control both CC11 and CC1 simultaneously to make louder notes sound sharper and the quiet ones sound darker.

Do you have an idea how this is to be done?
If EastWest Play isn't able to make one MIDI Control-Input control two MIDI-Parameter,
perhaps there is a MIDI Transformer plugin standalone out there I could route between my USB-controller and the MIDI input of Dorico?
Or maybe there is another way to reach the goal...

Thxs a lot for any idea,
best, Roman
Old 05-22-2020, 11:09 AM

already done...

I used the tools "Midi-OX" and "LoopBe1"...
In Midi-OX I used a Translation Map to clone the CC11 data to CC1 and both of them are sent via "LoopBe1" as Output to the player/DAW/whatever...
Works absolutely fine!