Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 11-11-2017, 02:04 AM

ecurb is on a distinguished road
Default Question about multiple mic positions and reverb

Hi guys,

I treated myself to a new 1TB SSD this week, which means I finally have room to have all the Hollywood libraries and Pianos where they should be. Huzzah! Until now I just had the main mic samples on SSD, and as a result that was all I tended to use.

So now I'm looking forward to mixing in other mic positions, and I find myself wondering just what to do about reverb when multiple mics are involved. The more I think about it, the more convoluted (no pun intended) it seems.

Assuming the goal is basically to get something sounding similar to a professional live orchestral recording... well, considering close mics, for example: Is it worth while adding some reverb to simulate bounce back off whatever walls are closest to the particular mic position? Or is it a better idea to keep the close mic samples as dry as possible and leave the room sound to the mains/surrounds?

Aware that I'm probably overthinking it

Thanks
Bruce.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb View Post
Hi guys,

I treated myself to a new 1TB SSD this week, which means I finally have room to have all the Hollywood libraries and Pianos where they should be. Huzzah! Until now I just had the main mic samples on SSD, and as a result that was all I tended to use.

So now I'm looking forward to mixing in other mic positions, and I find myself wondering just what to do about reverb when multiple mics are involved. The more I think about it, the more convoluted (no pun intended) it seems.

Assuming the goal is basically to get something sounding similar to a professional live orchestral recording... well, considering close mics, for example: Is it worth while adding some reverb to simulate bounce back off whatever walls are closest to the particular mic position? Or is it a better idea to keep the close mic samples as dry as possible and leave the room sound to the mains/surrounds?

Aware that I'm probably overthinking it

Thanks
Bruce.
There's no easy answer to this, the best you can do is experiment and try things out, and listen carefully.

My orchestral template is several hundred tracks, and I change it almost daily, adding instruments, changing reverb settings, and so on.

As to reverbs, there are many different permutations, you can use close reverbs and hall reverbs, play around with the amount of wetness; use different reverbs for different instruments; the Play engine has built in reverbs, or you can use Spaces which is generally nicer but if you use dozens of instances, it tasks your computer.

I would recommend to be organized and to set up a template that allows you maximum flexibility, and that you will get to know well, so you know exactly what's going on and where signals are routed to.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

I generally have 1 reverb per section of the orchestra as a send and then another one on the master channel to glue everything together.