Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 12-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasRoy View Post
You are kidding right ? Your beta testers never tested it inside a DAW ?
Don't be an idiot - of course it was tested extensively in all kinds of DAWs.

I've been a beta tester for years, my main DAW is Reaper, but I have used Play in Sibelius, Dorico, Pro Tools, standalone.

I'm just one of the beta testers. There are many more out there.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 AM

helen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix View Post
Play 6 takes approximately 2 minutes to launch in standalone and/or as a plugin in DAWs on my system. Way too long. Play 5 takes just a few secs. Can anyone suggest anything to speed this up? Thanks!

My system: 2009 4,1 MacPro > 5,1 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.11.6, 24GB RAM
Hi dix,

I was able to reproduce slow launch times for Play only the very first time I loaded it after installing. Every subsequent load took only a few seconds.
Also tried several DAWs on OS X 10.11.6.
If this is still happening even after having launched Play several times please go to the Settings menu (the tool icon at the top) and to the Other tab. At the bottom, under Misc, activate "Write log file for technical support." Then restart Play standalone.
Send me the newest log file at Application Support/East West/log. The files are named by date and time.
Send to helen@eastwestsounds.com.

thanks!
Helen
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post

I've been a beta tester for years, my main DAW is Reaper, but I have used Play in Sibelius, Dorico, Pro Tools, standalone.

Then why did they conclude that "Windows testers never used the search window in a DAW"?

What was your result?

EW is quick to get the bugs fixed though, as usual.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:33 PM

Sigma is on a distinguished road

I have a problem with fx window. It's too small. I can,t use some of fx.
Studio One 3
How to fix it?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:58 PM

dix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Hi dix,

I was able to reproduce slow launch times for Play only the very first time I loaded it after installing. Every subsequent load took only a few seconds.
Also tried several DAWs on OS X 10.11.6.
If this is still happening even after having launched Play several times please go to the Settings menu (the tool icon at the top) and to the Other tab. At the bottom, under Misc, activate "Write log file for technical support." Then restart Play standalone.
Send me the newest log file at Application Support/East West/log. The files are named by date and time.
Send to helen@eastwestsounds.com.

thanks!
Helen
Thanks Helen. I'm still getting the long launch times in standalone and the plugin even after several attempts. Log is on the way. Thx again!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:07 PM

NicolasRoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post

Call me an idiot all you like, neither you or anybody else thought about testing this feature properly.

Of course I undesrtand that Play was extesively tested. I am just surprised that such an advertised feature was forgotten.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
Then why did they conclude that "Windows testers never used the search window in a DAW"?

What was your result?

EW is quick to get the bugs fixed though, as usual.
I have no idea ... all I can say that I didn't test it as far as I can recall. Didn't even know that there was such a feature, quite frankly.

Maybe Helen keeps a huge spreadsheet with all of the feedback she receives from everyone, and then comments from the programmers, etc. There are dozens of DAWs out there and millions of possible configurations of hardware and software, it's daunting. I am not a software guy, I just take the beta versions, load them up, test if the main features work properly, especially if it doesn't break previous projects.

All that aside, the search function works fine for me, on Reaper. See screenshot attached.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:36 AM

4ccmusic is on a distinguished road

Charging for this upgrade is just wrong. This should be free. I paid for it, but its a cheap move on East West behalf IMO.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ccmusic View Post
Charging for this upgrade is just wrong. This should be free. I paid for it, but its a cheap move on East West behalf IMO.

Sorry, but we don't agree, PLAY 5 is still supplied free and runs all of our instruments except Hollywood Choirs, and PLAY 6 is included free with that product. The instrument database for 12,000+ instruments in PLAY 6, software support for Akai/M-Audio/NI keyboards took over a year to develop so for the convenience of using these new features that have nothing to do with running our instruments there is a very small upgrade fee. We also charged for the SSL/FX upgrade in the past because that had a cost as well; and PLAY 6 is completely optional, if you need it (Hollywood Choirs) it comes free with the product. That said, thank you for your purchase.

Last edited by admin; 12-08-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:20 PM

PaulieDC is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I don't agree... I paid for the full Composer Cloud Plus for a year so I could get introduced to your libraries (and also paid $169 for the hard drive), then after falling in love with Hollywood Orchestra and Symphonic Orchestra and HO Solo Instruments and Pianos and Stormdrum and some of the 25th Anniversary collection, I BOUGHT THEM OUTRIGHT. I saw Play 6 and was thrilled, then saw a Buy Now button... wait, what? I have to pay for the player, after my investment? Whoa. Yes, it costs to develop your player, we get that, but that's why you charge for your libraries accordingly. So when I was a renter I was eligible to get Play for free, but as a dedicated purchasing customer I'm NOT? At least make it free for anyone who owns any platinum or diamond library.

Even worse, I'd like to eventually get Hollywood Choirs, it just happens to be Christmas time and the purchase will have to wait. So if I upgrade to Play 6 for $29.95, will I get a $29.95 discount when I purchase HC? Probably not... that detail got missed. I hope you guys will at least provide that HC discount for people with paid Play 6 upgrades, OR provide it free to those who have purchase top level libraries.
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | EW Pianos Platinum & Symphonic Gold | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS / Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.