Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 11-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Pochflyboy is on a distinguished road
Default m.2 NVMe SSD

Is there any advantage to going with a m.2 NVMe SSD over just a standard SATA SSD other than time to load samples into ram?

Can I have more instruments with the same amount of RAM with PLAY 5 if I go with one of these super fast SSD's or will it be the same as a standard SSD?

PC:
Windows 10
Intel 5820k
48 GB Ram
Cubase 8.5
Old 11-20-2017, 04:38 PM

PaulieDC is on a distinguished road

NVMe is so much faster it's insane. You're talking 3500mb/sec vs 500mb. I currently have a Samsung 500GB 960 in 2280 format in my tower, sitting on a SilverStone PCI Card. Right now I have Komplete Ult 11 with the Symphony Series because it fits. My HO is currently on a standard SSD, I'm waiting until the price drops on the 1TB NVMe (Currently $586) then HO will go on there.

Anyway, to give you an example, When I double click to load the Full Orchestra in NI's Symphony Series or a brass section or whatever, there is NO WAITING. By the time I let go of the mouse, the library is loaded and I start playing. It's absolutely off the chart. My SATA SSDs seem like mechanical drives now. Ha, I have a couple libraries on a RAID 0 set with two std hard drives and it takes 90-120 seconds to load a full piano patch. Once you taste NVMe, it's all over. As soon as I can swing the 1TB for HO, I'm posting a vid on YT to show the difference.
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | EW Pianos Platinum & Symphonic Gold | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS / Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 PM

For those who have a PC tower and want to get the fastest NVMe drive (and they vary, believe me), start with this PCI card adapter: Silverstone ECM20, and add this 500GB drive: Samsung 960 NVMe 500GB Drive. That same link gets you to the 1TB and 2TB versions if budget allows. BTW, the silverstone card has a second slot for s standard SATA 2280 SSD. You'll need a SATA cable of course but power comes from the PCI slot. As for the NVMe drive in this adapter, nothing else is needed, the card provides power and data connection.
My Amateur Home Studio: NI K.Kontrol S49 | Studio One Pro | EW Hollywood Diamond Everything | EW Pianos Platinum & Symphonic Gold | Komplete Ultimate 11 plus Symphony Series Strings & Brass | PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile pushing pair of Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS / Taylor 618e v2. Oh, PC: Home built 6-core i7-4930K | 64GB | GTX1080 | 32TB total drive space. Win 10 & EWHO & Komplete 11 all on separate SATA SSDs, soon to upgrade to NVMe SSDs.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Does it change the amount of ram needed though or will it just reduce the loading speed?

I would think it could increase how much is streamed from disk but I don't know if the software allows that.

PC:
Windows 10
Intel 5820k
48 GB Ram
Cubase 8.5
Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 AM

Well, that's an interesting thing to test. An entire library isn't loaded into ram if it's huge, it DOES stream off the drive as well. So if you are streaming off an NVMe drive, can you get away with 32GB of ram and not need 64 or 128? Possibly, that needs testing. But remember that streaming uses CPU power as well, more that reading from RAM. However, RAM can always be upgraded later, easily. Getting a drive set up and ready is more permanent, so I say dump your money into the NVMe setup first, and see how it all goes. If/when needed, do a ram upgrade. Not everyone may agree but I will say that your drive is absolutely the slowest bottleneck in any system. Ever put an SSD into an older laptop after running it on a mechanical drive? The thing becomes a rocket. So if it is all about budget and if you are planning to build a rig or upgrade, my vote is NVMe first, more ram later. As long as you have at least 16GB which is pretty cheap these days (unlike NVME drives, lol).
Old 11-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

Well I was hoping someone would know if I am better investing in 1x NVMe m.2 or 2-3x SATA III SSD. Price is the same but it seems unclear which will actually produce the very best results. On paper NVMe still wins but I don't know if that actually works that way in reality.

PC:
Windows 10
Intel 5820k
48 GB Ram
Cubase 8.5
Old 11-21-2017, 10:13 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Regular SSD's are plenty fast.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

I know they are plenty fast but I also know there is an advantage to multiple ssd's with the GO Diamond spread out across them.

This article shows in real world tests that NVMe 960 evo drives are about 4x times faster than 850 evo. I am hoping that means 1x 1tb 960 gives better chance of getting to 0 in streaming settings than 2x 850 evos would.

I've had HO diamond sitting on my bookshelf for 3 years now just because I was having to cut so much in my template to add some HO in. I want to get past that now but seems there havnt been too many tests to know if this cash is gonna be well spent.

PC:
Windows 10
Intel 5820k
48 GB Ram
Cubase 8.5
Old 11-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

I doubt you would benefit form those drives, the evo's are more than you'll need with regards to load/stream speed IMO. Your bottleneck will be RAM, 16GB won't cut it for Diamond.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:55 AM

NicolasRoy is on a distinguished road

nvme SSD drives connected to the PCI-E bus are 3-4 times faster than SSDs connected on a SATA bus. I have personally seen a slight different in loading times of my template. Not day and night, but noticeable.

It won't chance a lot at playback though, as other computer resources are required.