Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 11-30-2017, 03:31 AM
Gold Member

Lostin Space is on a distinguished road
Default Vocal Ranges in Hollywood Choirs

The vocal-ranges mentioned in the manual (page 15) must be wrong in the tenor, altos, and soprano-parts?

4 part writing:

If I want to hear only the tenors in the range C3-C4; will I then actually hear basses-voices instead, or some kind of combination between tenors and basses here? Because the timbre/quality is very different between basses and tenors on certain notes (and also between altos and sopranos)

In essence: can you confirm that you have recorded each voice (SATB) individually in their correct range as in Symphonic Choirs?

I am sorry if I have misunderstood something here.

Thank you
Old 11-30-2017, 04:25 AM
Gold Member

Smile

I am not talking about differences in timbre in HC, but in choirs in general. I have not tried HC yet. I am referring to the manual here:-)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:27 AM

FabioV is on a distinguished road

...sorry for you, but no: the manual is clear about it, you only get Women and Men.

Yes you should accept to miss the timbre differences in the range where Basses overlap Tenors and Altos overlap Sopranos.

Yes I'm also disappointed, because I write "a cappella" choral music, but you may understand it saves a lot of resources, and made production easier. In addition the target of the choir is massive orchestral sound, and not fine and delicate polyphonic performance, then in the bombastic epic mixes it's designed for, the differences should not be perceived anyway.

I would be happy if the WB finally works as it is supposed to do. In EWQLSC it was never working as soon as you introduced any expression and tempo changes.

So... give me a really working WB and I will deal with Women and Men only

Last edited by admin; 11-30-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:30 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

Symphonic Choirs was recorded SATB, but it weakened the overall power of the choir. For Hollywood Choirs we had better singers with more range and we were able to overlap the SATB ranges to get a bigger sound (which is important for our target user); and if you want to write SATB you can load up 4 instances and limit the range for each as is detailed on pages 15 of the manual.

Last edited by admin; 11-30-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

George Bellas is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Delicate Polyphonic Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioV View Post
...the target of the choir is massive orchestral sound, and not fine and delicate polyphonic performance.
Hollywood Choirs is superb for writing delicate 4-part polyphonic vocal music. Using four instances for each respective SATB part works really well, just as it did in EWQLSC.

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6, Logic Pro X, PLAY 5, RME RayDAT, Focusrite Red Series and ISA Mic Pres, Apogee Converters, Coleman Audio SR5.1 MKII

Hollywood Strings Diamond, Hollywood Brass Diamond, Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds, Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus, Symphonic Choirs, QL Pianos, Silk, Voices of Passion, Stormdrum 2, Gypsy, Goliath, Ministry of Rock, Voices of the Apocalypse, Superior Drummer, VE Pro, Spaces
Old 11-30-2017, 07:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Symphonic Choirs was recorded SATB, but it weakened the overall power of the choir. For Hollywood Choirs we had better singers with more range and we were able to overlap the SATB ranges to get a bigger sound (which is important for our target user); and if you want to write SATB you can load up 4 instances and limit the range for each as is detailed on pages 15 of the manual.
Thank you for answering my question.

I am sure it will turn out just great

Last edited by admin; 11-30-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bellas View Post
Hollywood Choirs is superb for writing delicate 4-part polyphonic vocal music. Using four instances for each respective SATB part works really well, just as it did in EWQLSC.
Wonderful! Thank you
Old 11-30-2017, 07:47 AM
Gold Member

FabioV: Yes. It will be really cool if the WB is better. Perhaps we can blend HC and SC somehow also
Old 11-30-2017, 08:03 AM

FabioV is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bellas View Post
Well, creating only 2 massives W and M sections doesn't sound the approach enabling what you say, and the Admin was clear about it.

But I want to trust you in the hope it will be good enough: I'm looking forward to it!

Thank you very much for your feedback, really appreciated!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

EW-team:

Suggestion: Is there any way possible you can add an future update with what you consider the "weak" samples? Weak is not a bad thing. A singer is supposed to sing weaker at lower register. Its how the body works.