Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2017, 09:55 AM

fbeauvaisc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keyswitch improvements

This suggestion comes from many many ours or searching for a solution to my East West template. Unfortunately, it's not quite there yet.

I'm working with Cubase 9.5 and expression maps. For those who might not know, Cubase's expression map is a very handy way of assigning keyswitch instruments to different parts of your score. You can also use it to assign different midi channels so you can build your own ''keyswitch instruments" in a multi-timbral instance of Play. You can have up to 16 articulations of your choice of the 1st violin on one instance/track for exemple.

There are 2 problems to this setup. One is that whenever I stop playback, the midi channel resets to CH1 and so does my articulations. That does not happen with real keyswitch instruments. I can start and stop playback and the chosen articulation stays selected.

The second problem with midi channel switching, is that it's maxed at 16 articulations per instance/tracks.

Unfortunately, As of now, Hollywood Orchestra only offer very limited and small KS instruments. Other libraries like Symphonic Orchestra's 18v or Gypsy's Violins the 18v offers 20 to 30 articulations on a single patch. That is way more that the 16 midi channels can offer in my current setup.

Can we expect some improvements in this area on future Play updates? I would really love to be able to chose and assign all the articulations I want of an instrument to a single KS instance.

Another HUGE advantage to KS instrument that when selecting your mic positions, you dont have to do it 16 or 23 times for a single instrument.

That's the kind of workflow improvement I would gladly spend my money on.

Master - Windows 10 / RME Fireface UFX / Cubase 9.5 / P9X79 / i7-4820k / 32gb 1866mhz
Slave 1 - Windows 10 / x79 / Xeon E5-1620 / 64gb 1333mhz
Slave 2 - Windows 10 / x79z / i7-3960x / 32gb 1600mhz