Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 04-24-2017, 01:45 PM

bobsstudio is on a distinguished road
Default How many SS Drives?

Hi Guys,

I'm finally upgrading my system again and getting a PC from ADK Pro.

I suppose I get one drive for the operating system and programs.

Another for music productions etc.

My question is, is it better to dump all my virtual instrument sample/sounds on one huge SS drive or is it better to spread them out over multiple smaller SS drives.

I will be using loads of East West stuff although NOT Hollywood. Plus Spectrasonics, Ivory and various other libraries.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

BobG

PS you can see from below how I'm upgrading from the Steam Age!!
PC 2.6Ghz Windows XP Pro 32 bit 3 Gig Ram. 5 X Receptors v1 10 Gig Ram. 2XFireFace 400. Tanoy 8D's. EWQLSO,SC'c,RA,SD2,VOP,MOR,Ivory,Pro Audio Bluthner,Spectrasonics,Halion,Nine Volt Audio,GPO,Big Band,Strad,Halion,Kontakt,Hollywood Winds etc. DAW feeling a little dated!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:16 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

If you aren't using Hollywood stuff, then I would just go with a regular 7200 rpm drive(s). But if you don't mind paying a little more, then SSD all the way (one or more, doesn't really make a difference).

Why not Hollywood?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

I'm using 5 850 EVO SSD's
System 250gb(Don't go smaller than this)
Recording 250gb
and 3 500gb sample drives.

My 3 Sample drives are now pretty much full so I'll need to add an additional drive or two. I can have up to a total of 10 via the mother board. I also back up the samples etc via an external(my old) HDD.

SSD's all the way as the costs are very good right now, plus their super fast. I also chose to spread them out via multiple SSD's.

I almost went with ADK but found a good systems builder in Huntington Beach Ca that built and tested my system and it ended up saving a lot of cash.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:57 AM
Silver Member

tommyrack13 is on a distinguished road

I've recently got a slave PC which has drives - one 480GB SSD for OS and apps, a 2TB HDD for bulk storage, a 2TB Samsung EVO 850 as sample drive 1, and a 1TB M.2 SSD for the super intensive libraries like Hollywood Strings Diamond.

So far, it's quite comfortably running a fairly large template from those two sample drives (Hollywood Orchestra Diamond with around 10 patches per instrument including the powerful legatos, plus multiple instances from Pianos Platinum and some other instruments, as well as a full orchestral library from another developer in Kontakt and some odds and ends). The only time I've experienced drop outs is during a test project where I have pretty much everything playing at once, but that's never going to be realistic. Also, using literally a single instance of one of the Ghostwriter guitars with amp sim engaged causes clicks, pops, spikes, etc. everywhere so that's an example of a patch that'll need to be used sparingly and not as part of the main template.

Anyway, the point of that is to say that running it from fewer drives seems fine, although I have heard that multiple drives can ease that load but I don't know if it's 100% necessary unless you're going to run something hugely intensive.

T
Old 04-25-2017, 09:20 AM

bobsstudio is on a distinguished road

Guys thankyou so much for your input on this! All very helpful. As to HW strings etc. I just haven't got round to getting them yet. But tempted to go with composer cloud to cover all that. Again thanks, I'll keep posted as to progress.
PC 2.6Ghz Windows XP Pro 32 bit 3 Gig Ram. 5 X Receptors v1 10 Gig Ram. 2XFireFace 400. Tanoy 8D's. EWQLSO,SC'c,RA,SD2,VOP,MOR,Ivory,Pro Audio Bluthner,Spectrasonics,Halion,Nine Volt Audio,GPO,Big Band,Strad,Halion,Kontakt,Hollywood Winds etc. DAW feeling a little dated!