Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 07-06-2018, 04:35 AM

Kasperat is on a distinguished road
Default Bending notes in silk how?

I just downloaded and started using silk which sounds truly amazing and organic.
However i saw in the tutorial video on youtube that he was able to slide between some notes, i have not been able to figure how you do that?

There is a link below to the east west silk tutorial video where he slides at 4:09

I really hope some of you guys can enlighten me.

I am using ableton live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEha...aC4GPwbg&t=251 - tutorial video at 4:09
Old 07-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Is the legato script turned on in Play? How are your MIDI notes placed?
If the distance is too large, then it won't work properly. Can you perhaps
provide a screenshot of the latter?

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On DAWs - "On Drives" is being Updated
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii

Last edited by LMW; 07-25-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

I'm not quite sure if you're talking about Legato, as Lorenz suggested (going from one note to another), or if you're talking about a pitch bend. Pitch bend has a separate wheel (next to the modwheel, usually a wheel that 'snaps' back into centre position when released) on MIDI keyboards. Is that what you're looking for?

If you don't have a MIDI keyboard, maybe Ableton has a way to 'draw' pitch wheel automation manually. I don't use Ableton, so I don't know.

Edit: The video you linked uses the Erhu Legato patch. That specific instrument requires your modwheel (CC #1) to be at specific value ranges for different articulations. As you can see in the articulation panel, your modwheel needs to be between 65 and 127, and the notes need to be connected/overlap for the legato effect to appear.

Last edited by Dominik Raab; 07-07-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:29 AM

Kasperat is on a distinguished road

Yea i am talking about the pitch bend, and i am using the legato patch. I hoped that there was an easy way to do it that doesn't require a mod wheel. Perhaps if the MIDI notes were overlapping it would bend automatically or something like that. I am recording on my electric piano but i guess i'll have to find something cheap with a mod wheel, i checked the prices it doesn't seem to expensive. .

Thanks a lot for the help!

/ Kasper
Old 07-27-2018, 06:55 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasperat View Post
Yea i am talking about the pitch bend, and i am using the legato patch. I hoped that there was an easy way to do it that doesn't require a mod wheel. Perhaps if the MIDI notes were overlapping it would bend automatically or something like that. I am recording on my electric piano but i guess i'll have to find something cheap with a mod wheel, i checked the prices it doesn't seem to expensive. .

Thanks a lot for the help!

/ Kasper

That's the Erhu legato MOD patch you are referring you. When you push the mod wheel up and play two notes in succession, it slides up from one to the other, glissando style.

The Erhu is a two stringed Chinese "violin", played with the body of the instrument in your lap. Check out youtube videos. So the legal MOD patch imitates a player sliding up or down one of the two strings.

You really need a midi keyboard with a mod wheel, and also an expression pedal or some midi controller, to properly play VST instruments ... especially strings. You can get decent models for not a lot of money.

Tags
ableton live 9, silk, slide