Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 03-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Silver Member

iMartin is on a distinguished road
Default 10GB ethernet usefull?

Hi! I'm about to get a new machine and I plan to also invest in a slave. As a Mac user I'm looking at the 2018 Mac mini with 10GB ethernet option but I'm unsure if it is of any use to get that for communication with a slave machine.

Can anyone with more knowledge about it please share?

Martin
Old 03-04-2019, 06:41 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Yep, it's the connection you'll need for using the slave with VEPro. You can also use an ethernet adaptor if you only have a Thunderbolt port available (like on my MacBook).
Old 03-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
Yep, it's the connection you'll need for using the slave with VEPro. You can also use an ethernet adaptor if you only have a Thunderbolt port available (like on my MacBook).

Yeah, just thinking that maybe 1GB has enough headroom.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:13 PM

eepyikes is on a distinguished road

1GB is probably fine for now, I think the other user was thinking of 1GB. Remember that in order to use 10GB, you have to have a router that supports it, any other computers you're connecting to, and the cables (Cat6a or Cat7). If there's a slower connection anywhere in that pipeline, then that will be your bottleneck. Still, 10GB wouldn't hurt for future-proofing but I have my doubts that a mac mini will ever miss it.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

oleJoergensen is on a distinguished road

Actually it is 10 Gb (gigabits) and not 10 GB (gigabyte). 1 byte = 8 bits.
So 10 Gb is nearly 1 GB.
In music production Im not sure if 10 Gb network is beneficial.....
Ex. Ve-pro works only a little bit faster by 10 Gb network (Informed by VSL).
I dont know about Dante.
For backup it will require SSD to utilize 1 Gb speed but it will be more easy to just use
USB 3 or Thunderbolt for this.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepyikes View Post
1GB is probably fine for now, I think the other user was thinking of 1GB. Remember that in order to use 10GB, you have to have a router that supports it, any other computers you're connecting to, and the cables (Cat6a or Cat7). If there's a slower connection anywhere in that pipeline, then that will be your bottleneck. Still, 10GB wouldn't hurt for future-proofing but I have my doubts that a mac mini will ever miss it.
My setup would be a Mac mini connected to a slave directly. No routers involved (unless it would be necessary)
Old 03-09-2019, 03:29 PM

eepyikes is on a distinguished road

It's easier to do it through a router because peer to peer networking (which I think requires a crossover Ethernet cable) can be more of a pain. With a router you just plugin and go. That said, if you don't need internet on either computer and both computers have 10Gb Ethernet then you may see a slight speed increase going peer to peer as the VSL quote above notes. My bet would be that you wouldn't miss 10Gb until about the time your Mac mini runs it's course a few years from now. There are a ton of people out there running massive orchestral vsl templates over 1Gb, so there's that. If you feel it's worth the bump go for it, just remember that every part of the network has to be 10Gb or it will run at 1Gb and you should be good to go.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Harrier_17 is on a distinguished road

Damn, I'm afraid now. Right now, I live in a country where everyone and their mother has at least a 100mb connexion, which is the strict minimum, buuuuuttttt... I was considering buying a house in Greece, and now I'm afraid the Internet access won't be as good; I'm worried because I'll mostly have free time there, and if I can't do the things I like in my free time if the weather isn't good, then it'll be boring as hell.
Could experts around here please tell me either that fast internet is easy to get there, or that you can perfectly work with a relatively limited connexion? Thanks!

Last edited by LMW; 03-22-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:58 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMartin View Post
My setup would be a Mac mini connected to a slave directly. No routers involved (unless it would be necessary)
I have my Mac connected directly to the slave. Nothing else needed, a router will only make things more complicated. Just use a regular cat6 or cat7 cable, crossover cables are a thing if the past. If you need help setting up the IP’s, etc, fire me a pm. It’s a little tricky at first.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:50 AM

danno is on a distinguished road

Dante networks are just fine streaming over 100mb for two channel 24bit/44.1, you can check the specs but gigabit isn't needed until some more than that. So network bandwidth won't buy you much, gigabit should be fine.

It might be interesting for streaming samples instead of having to use thunderbolt in the studio (with disk systems that have some noise), but the issue there would be latency I think. So yeah not much call for it AFAIK.