Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

DonaldM is on a distinguished road

It all depends on what you're expecting. If you're expecting a "how to" class with the Hans Zimmer Masterclass, then you'll be disappointed. He doesn't go into a lot of technical stuff about software, working with video, timing the music or tell you how to get that big brass sound and all that sort of thing. But, what he DOES do is provide a way of approaching scoring film (or any media for that matter). Its all about the story, he said, and everything he did really revolved around that key idea. He discussed how to work with the directors, what things to think about, what to look for in the film and lots of examples from some of his own work. He is inspiring to listen to and I learned a lot about how to approach scoring. There is a workbook that accompanies the course that provide helpful notes and outlines of all the discussions with some questions for further thought and research.

More than worth the $90 price and the 9-10 hours or so it takes to watch all the videos. I took time with it. I joined at the beginning, so was able to get in on the live webcast they had with Hans. That was a fascinating 90 minutes.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:20 PM

PaulieDC is on a distinguished road

I absolutely hate intrusive web ads. This Zimmer thing pops up a few months back and I gave it 5 seconds before closing the ad, basically because I then realize who it is! 90 seconds later I'm dropping the Preorder in my cart as fast as I can, lol. To repeat several others, WELL worth the $90. Just being in the "class", even if you're well accomplished, is like having this great conversation with like minds... I will continue to go back through it several times every so often. For a noob like me it's a gold mine, and I dare say if you've hit writer's block, this could help break it. Very inspiring class.
FWIW: Home Studio (for the moment): Hollywood Diamond Everything | Pianos, Symphonic Orchestra and Choirs Platinum | Komplete 11 Ultimate (plus Symphony Series) | PreSonus DAW & Hardware: Studio One Pro | Studio 192 into Eris E5s & T10 sub | PreSonus FaderPort | M-Audio CODE 49 | Two analog gems: AKG C414 XLS / Taylor 618e v2.
"For He spake, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast." Ps. 33:9
Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 AM

unie01 is on a distinguished road

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
Old 02-27-2018, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

djwayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Well here it is a couple months after taking the class with Hans Zimmer....I find myself writing everyday now. My mind is opened up to many new ideas and techniques outlined by Mr. Zimmer. I'm trying many different things, my creativity is soaring....I'm doing things I never thought possible before....I'm using synth sounds much more than ever...I have a much better idea of how to get started on writing new pieces...I purchased a whole bunch of the East West Sound programs and use them heavily, although not exclusively, so I can't really post the stuff I'm writing...the Hans Zimmer class has really opened up many doors that were previously left closed. I've only watched the class once, but plan on watching it again and again....there's so much information there, it's difficult to grasp it all in one sitting......

Performer, writer, owner of a very well equipped home studio. My East West collection includes Symphonic Orchestra Silver and Gold, Goliath, Gypsy, Fab Four, Silver Bechstein Piano, Gold Pianos, ProDrummer Vol 1 & 2, Hollywood Strings Gold, Hollywood Solo Violin Gold, Hollywood Brass Gold, Hollywood Percussion Gold, RA, Ghostwriter, QL Spaces, and Play 6.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

DJB is on a distinguished road

The course does look very interesting indeed. In the 'Life of a Composer' lesson does he talk about how to seek work as a composer (from a non-Hans Zimmer perspective!) or is it from a working composer perspective?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

He acts if he's a new bee with no clue on what he's going to write.

Performer, writer, owner of a very well equipped home studio. My East West collection includes Symphonic Orchestra Silver and Gold, Goliath, Gypsy, Fab Four, Silver Bechstein Piano, Gold Pianos, ProDrummer Vol 1 & 2, Hollywood Strings Gold, Hollywood Solo Violin Gold, Hollywood Brass Gold, Hollywood Percussion Gold, RA, Ghostwriter, QL Spaces, and Play 6.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

DJB is on a distinguished road

Thanks, he comes across really well in the video samples. Can't say I'm a massive fan of HZ but no one can doubt his credentials!
Old 02-28-2018, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

I never heard of him before taking this class, but after i looked into it, yes he did have some very impressive credentials, so I took the class, and now I'm a huge fan of his, and regard him as a friend. I may never get to meet him, but man, he gave me tons of great advice....you don't forget people like that....

Old 03-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Amadeus0 is on a distinguished road

I also took the HZ MC, and it was awesome. I got in early enough (and bought 3 classes) so I got a year access to all their classes. So far enjoying everything I've watched.

Last edited by admin; 03-02-2018 at 10:31 AM.