Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation
Default Suggestions for new phrases in Hollywood Choirs

Let us know your suggestions for additional phrases you would like added to the Hollywood Choirs phrase database, we're going to be working on that next to speed up our users work flow.

Please limit to those that would have general purpose use.

Last edited by admin; 12-24-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

For the Glory of Merlin, daylight is mine to command!

More seriously, all the usual phrases from a traditional Latin mass would be good to have:

Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison

Gloria in excelsis Deo

Credo in unum Deum

Sanctus
Hosanna in excelsis

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi
miserere nobis
donna nobis pacem

and so on.

As for German, there's plenty of good stuff in Beethoven and Bach:

Freude, schöner Götterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

(Beethoven 9 - everyone knows Alle Menschen werden Brueder but this is how it starts)

From Bach's St Matthew Passion:

Kommt, ihr Toechter, helft mir klagen

Wir setzen uns in Traenen nieder

(note: the oe in German is often spelled as o with an Umlaut on top, but my keyboard does not have the Umlaut - phonetically it can also be spelled as oe, sounding as "uh" in English. Same thing for ae, pronounced as "ay" in English)

Quick question though: we can create our own custom lyrics, what would be the advantage of EW doing this - would you be tweaking the WB to make it sound as good as possible?
Old 12-24-2017, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

Lostin Space is on a distinguished road

The requiem mass (in Latin)
and the traditional Latin mass.

I can not think of anything more suitable than these two.
That would be perfect.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
(note: the oe in German is often spelled as o with an Umlaut on top, but my keyboard does not have the Umlaut - phonetically it can also be spelled as oe, sounding as "uh" in English. Same thing for ae, pronounced as "ay" in English)
I hate to be a wise-ass, but I have to in this case. Apologies.

The German "ö" (oe) is very close to the vowel in "bird", just with rounded lips. Say "bird", draw out the vowel, round your lips. I'm still a bit wobbly on English "write it like you say it" conventions (I use the IPA), but when I read "uh", it's not the German "ö" sound that comes to mind.

"ä" isn't really too close to "ay", either. "ay" is a diphthong, blending two distinct vowels. The German "ä" is a monophthong. In most dialects, it's pronounced identically to the German "e"; if it's distinct, it's produced higher in the mouth, with a slightly larger opening of the mouth.

It's really, really hard to describe it in writing without standing knee-deep in linguistic terminology that no sane being (who chose to do something better with their life instead of studying linguistics, kill me now) understands. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-mCMtISfA
Old 12-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Here are 4 reasons why you should add the REQUIEM-TEXT IN LATIN:

First; you have already started! And it is real Latin.

Second; there are over 2000 requiems composed today, so this is not just another nothing.

Third; You have done so much work making this great choir. It would be a shame if the phrases would not support your (EW-team) own words: "If composers are not tired of hearing the same faux Latin phrases repeated over and over, those listening certainly are".

And four; it is of major general purpose use.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Ah, German umlauts. That's a real finicky subject. I'll agree with Dominik here,
let's not get into the linguistic terminology ... Though it is a highly interesting
subject for any language.

Lorem Ipsum would be cool if there's spare time. I've read it so often
that I somehow actually want to hear it. Or is somebody aware of it already
being used in a song?

Thanks for all the suggestions hitherto.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On Harddrives, On DAWs
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii

Last edited by LMW; 07-25-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik Raab View Post
I hate to be a wise-ass, but I have to in this case. Apologies.

The German "ö" (oe) is very close to the vowel in "bird", just with rounded lips. Say "bird", draw out the vowel, round your lips. I'm still a bit wobbly on English "write it like you say it" conventions (I use the IPA), but when I read "uh", it's not the German "ö" sound that comes to mind.

"ä" isn't really too close to "ay", either. "ay" is a diphthong, blending two distinct vowels. The German "ä" is a monophthong. In most dialects, it's pronounced identically to the German "e"; if it's distinct, it's produced higher in the mouth, with a slightly larger opening of the mouth.

It's really, really hard to describe it in writing without standing knee-deep in linguistic terminology that no sane being (who chose to do something better with their life instead of studying linguistics, kill me now) understands. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-mCMtISfA
LOL - my mom was German (and my dad half German), I grew up learning the language at a young age but obviously talking to me you wouldn't mistake me for a native German especially given that I have no daily practice.

Practically, from the "average" WB user perspective there are two more problems:

1. Most people who use WB don't speak German; and
2. Even if try using google translate, they wouldn't really know how to properly pronounce it.

For a US audience, if you can fake it halfway convincingly, no one's going to notice. Even the bad guys in Die Hard - which I watched again yesterday, annual Christmas tradition - speak some weird kind of German, including Hans Gruber (rip Alan Rickman).

And then there's all the accents ... people in Bayern have a distinctly different accent from, say, people in Berlin or in Nordrhein Westfalen.

Thinking about it, from the perspective of EW as a US developer, how would you set up the WB interface? Would examples help? The cool thing about HC is that you can make them sing anything you want.

Personally I'd be quite happy to set "reasonably convincing" as the goal post ... with everything beyond that being a bonus. To put this in perspective, it's not easy to get completely convincing results in English either.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:19 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostin Space View Post
Here are 4 reasons why you should add the REQUIEM-TEXT IN LATIN:

First; you have already started! And it is real Latin.

Second; there are over 2000 requiems composed today, so this is not just another nothing.

Third; You have done so much work making this great choir. It would be a shame if the phrases would not support your (EW-team) own words: "If composers are not tired of hearing the same faux Latin phrases repeated over and over, those listening certainly are".

And four; it is of major general purpose use.
I think that that's a great idea, and here's another reason: there's a potential market out there for amateur choir conductors, who may want to give their members not just their parts in advance for rehearsal but also a mockup of how it's going to sound like, sort of. Doesn't need to be perfect, but it's somewhere in the ballpark, that might be good enough.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:31 AM
Gold Member

Yes, exactly. And you have a great point regarding amateur choirs here. Think about the requiems of Mozart, Verdi, Schumann, Dvorak, Cherubini...the list is endless.

This bring me up to what I believe is EW's thoughts on what is commercial or not. The "Epic-genre" with phrases like "the scary trolls are on fire in the depth of hell" (joke) is NOT the way to go. Yes, younger composers like these dramatic phrases, but they are really silly sometimes. I recommend taking a look at the requiem-text. It contains some really scary dramatic stuff, known by thousands of choirs around the world, for hundereds of years. And it is in real latin. What could be better for a new pro-vsti-choir aiming to be better and different?

I will actually go so far as saying that EW is so good, that they have a DUTY taking care of this wonderful musical tradition that the requiem-genre is.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:38 AM
Gold Member

Just one more point: Requiem is about heaven and hell, and the Hollywood Choirs is covered with an angel and demon on front. It has basically Requiem written all over it
Closed Thread