Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > The Suggestion Box > PLAY - Suggestions
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In HB, a lowpass filter opens when the modwheel is at medium level
To my ears, as a brass player that statement is plain wrong. That is the sound of a brass instrument playing at approx mezzo-forte (ish). If there was any process of the sound like a LPF, us brass players would be able to pick it as it sounds un-natural. The highest dynamic layers are streaming, but they are silent.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:15 AM
Gold Member

Jonathan120 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpoz View Post
To my ears, as a brass player that statement is plain wrong. That is the sound of a brass instrument playing at approx mezzo-forte (ish). If there was any process of the sound like a LPF, us brass players would be able to pick it as it sounds un-natural. The highest dynamic layers are streaming, but they are silent.
It even tells you they are streaming but silent in the manual LOL.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Gold Member

Dreamofthenight92 is on a distinguished road

Lowpass filters are common used in crossfades: I'm sure that EWQL SO orchestra and choir use 1 pole lowpass filter for crossfades, while I red somewhere that HB use a six pole filter
Old 10-27-2013, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamofthenight92 View Post
Lowpass filters are common used in crossfades: I'm sure that EWQL SO orchestra and choir use 1 pole lowpass filter for crossfades, while I red somewhere that HB use a six pole filter
Just had a quick look at the HB manual - there is a low-pass filter for Marc-Sus patches which controls the harshness of the attack, and a LPF at the very highest dynamics of the leg slur patches.

Nothing in the HS/HOW manuals about any sort of filter.

Just musing..... the issue with your suggestion for crossfading is that on solo instrument sustains is that 2 samples will sound simultaneously giving a chorus effect. I know there are a couple of libraries that have managed to crack this one, but they are very very few.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

Dreamofthenight92 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your explanation. Sometimes I say something of nonsense, but please apologize me, I try to learn
Old 10-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Silver Member

JHMusic is on a distinguished road

If I remember correctly, the use of LP/HP filters when crossfading is to do a filter sweep in the same direction on both input signals, one with a LP and one with a HP, so that you crossfade in the frequency domain rather than an amplitude weighting between the two.
Closed Thread