Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

jamieboo is on a distinguished road
Default UR22?

Hello folks
Just getting the final bits and pieces for my new X99 build and I just want to double check: UR22 - A good basic audio interface for use with Hollywood Orchestra?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Yes. It hasn't failed me yet.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On DAWs - "On Drives" is being Updated
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii
Old 08-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Thanks!
By the way, do you have yours connected via a USB 3.0 port?
I've heard the UR22 can be a bit temperamental with USB 3.0 (Even with USB 2.0 ports if they're under the aegis of a USB 3.0 controller)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

-Lawson- is on a distinguished road

UR22 connected via USB3 over here and working great.

Digital Performer 8 + Logic Pro 9
All libraries on SSDs
EWQL products:
Hollywood Strings Diamond, Hollywood Brass/Orchestral Woodwinds Gold, Pianos Gold, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Stormdrum 2 Pro, Ra, Spaces

www.lawsonmadlener.com
Old 08-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

nitrocan is on a distinguished road

For audio interfaces, USB 2 vs 3 shouldn't matter.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

I use mine on both USB2 and 3, has never let me down.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

LMW is on a distinguished road

Works great on both ports. I use mostly the USB 3 port due to my workspace setup.

Helpful links: Sample Path, Library Sizes, Tips and Tricks, On DAWs - "On Drives" is being Updated
Hardware: OS W7 Pro, i7-4910MQ 2,9 GHz (Overclock to 3,9 GHz), 32GB RAM, int. 3TB 840 EVO SSDs,
ext. 1TB Samsung T1 + 6TB backup + UR22 Interface + Kawai MP7 (88 Keys) + Yamaha MS60S Speakers
Software: Cubase Pro 8.0.40, PLAY v6.X.X, EastWest et multi alii
Old 09-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Hello folks

Well after much faffing, I finally got my UR22 today.
Everything generally sounds splendid, but I'm wondering if I may be lumbered with some of the USB3.0/X99 related difficulties that some people have described elsewhere.
I have not thoroughly tested yet. And frustratingly I don't have a template set up yet to really see if there's a problem. (It'll be a while before I have my template. Moving to HO Diamond and Cubase 8 from EWQLSO and Cubase 5 seems quite a shock to the system -there's LOTS I need to learn).
But I did load up an old project and quickly patch in a few HO instruments. And every few minutes I would hear a crackle/drop out.
I've also noticed this happens outside of a DAW environment; just when listening to some music in mediaplayer/spotify, or even when I loaded up a game - audio just cuts out for a fraction of a second every few minutes.
This doesn't seem to correspond to any CPU peaks, and DPC Latency Checker doesn't show any problems at all.
Any ideas what could be going on?
I used a USB 3.0 port first of all, then I switched to a USB 2.0 and that was possibly slightly better. The only other USB devices I have plugged in are my mouse, my Cubase dongle, and an external HD.
Those of you that who use a UR22 without problems what settings do you have in the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver?
I'm really hoping this isn't going to be a problem.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Hmm. I'm really stumped by this.
Even just in Windows. whatever the audio source, audio drops out for a split second every few minutes. But in a way that follows no discernible pattern.
DPC Latency Checker shows no problem as I said, Latency Monitor shows occasional problems - but the issues it detects do not correspond with times when the audio cuts out!
I've tried setting processor scheduling to Background Processes - no change; I changed Power Settings so that USB Selective Suspend was disabled and Minimum Processor State was 100% - no change. I updated the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and my LAN drivers. Nothing.
According to Latency Monitor the drivers that cause the most latency are ndis.sys and the various graphics kernel drivers. But I don't know if that's worth pursuing as nothing they do actually seems to correspond to the audio dropouts.
The only vague pattern I can discern is that the dropouts only seem to happen when I'm interfacing with the computer in some way. If I'm opening google, or opening a system setting, or clicking on an icon, or controlling a game etc.
I never had this problem when I was just using onboard audio. It's only been since getting the UR22.
Any ideas?
Old 09-16-2015, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

My best guess is to check if there any drivers or firmware updates you need to download. Some companies don't preinstall the updates when they come out

My interface didn't work on USB 3 until there was a firmware update. I had to route audio from my computer into my laptop, into the audio interface for a good 2 weeks before the released it
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Closed Thread