Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 12-01-2016, 03:22 AM

simagt is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb PC upgrade

Hello.

Recently i decided to upgrade my PC so i want to ask will Intel i5 4460 3.2Ghz,
32 gigs of ram ,SSD disc, with Focusrite Scarlet solo audio interface be enough
for max 40 tracks of instruments with reverb, delay , some EQ etc. (Symphonic orchestra Gold ,Ra , Ministry of Rock 2, Stormdrum 2, and maybe Choirs)
Old 12-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Try to go with a i7
i5's do not have good reps for DAW use.
5820k 6 core is a powerhouse and will allow for your future(choirs can be resource demanding) expansions.
A extra few hundred up front will yield dividends going forward as you expand your track and processor counts.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:34 AM

Ah yes the almighty i7... i wasnt clear sorry for that .

The thing is i know i7 is a must for some composers but in my case i m not sure ill need it
because im not planing to do hyperrealistic pieces with 100 + tracs anytime soon.

40 tracs at max and also i wont us any heavy libraries like vienna, symphobia ..
Im tight with budget at the moment
So if any1 here got that "crapy" i5 and can share the experience i would appreciate that very much.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Here's a link about it. Pay extra attention to Scott at ADK(Well regarded DAW Computer systems builders)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...vst-stuff.html
Old 12-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simagt View Post
Ah yes the almighty i7... i wasnt clear sorry for that .

The thing is i know i7 is a must for some composers but in my case i m not sure ill need it
because im not planing to do hyperrealistic pieces with 100 + tracs anytime soon.

40 tracs at max and also i wont us any heavy libraries like vienna, symphobia ..
Im tight with budget at the moment
So if any1 here got that "crapy" i5 and can share the experience i would appreciate that very much.
It really has nothing to do with creating big track counts, etc. It's about processor power. Whether you are loading one track, or 200, the processor will make a difference. The same with RAM; you are going for 32GB, but with the libraries you are using you won't even come close to gobbling that up. However, making your system "futureproof" is the way to go. For example, you may end up buying Hollywood Strings in the new year, in which case you'll be already set.

You also mentioned a SSD which is great, but make sure you store the libraries on their own drive(s), not the drive that contains Windows and your DAW. And actually, with those libraries, a 7200rpm should suffice.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 AM

First of all thank you for your reply.

Before i came on this forums iv been on dozens of other and i prety much have
got alot of info but it was mostly theory "buy i7 and u will not worry in the future". The thing is i dont want to spend hundred or more if i dont need cause
i wont upgrade my library or make huge pieces next few years for sure .
I will upgrade definetly in the future but not soon .

Just wanted to know if someone here knows how i5 handles 40 instruments of
libraries mentioned above.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, I use to load up a lot of tracks (40+) with my old q6600 processor, and only 8GB Ram, running Symphonic orchestra Gold ,Ra, Stormdrum 1&2, Goliath, Choirs, and other VI's. I'm sure the i5 will handle it, but I don't understand why people don't pay the small upgrade cost, doesn't make any sense...even if it's only $100 or so.