Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:39 PM

VainCookies is on a distinguished road
Default Articulation Switching

Hello. Does anyone know of a way to have PLAY switch articulations that are loaded into the interface without resorting to Program Changes? I saw something from Orangetree Samples called Mind Control that allows you to load individual articulations from your library into slots and create various rules that allow you to switch between them. Pretty cool, but it's for use with Kontakt.

It seems that in PLAY, (unless you're using a sound that already has keyswitches) you have to load all the sounds you need onto tracks in your DAW and then write your MIDI parts for each of those articulations separately on their respective tracks.

I'm not a composer and I don't make a living from making music (though I hope to one day), but if there's a faster way to make use of humongous number of articulations in EaseWest libraries, I'd be interested an any suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

oleJoergensen is on a distinguished road

If you are using Mac OSX, you can try Skiswitcher- ARTzID. It works very well and are well explained how to set up. There are also other options out there.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:44 AM
Silver Member

tommyrack13 is on a distinguished road

+1 on SkiSwitcher if you're in Logic. Started using it fairly recently and it's an absolutely essential part of my workflow now. The SkiSwitcher that I've been using (not the ArtzID one) essentially gives you entirely customizable keyswitch patches - load up to 16 patches on separate MIDI channels in your PLAY instance, then assign those all to a keyswitch in the Scripter. The double benefit is that the Script writes the information to the notes themselves, so you're not left with a bunch of keyswitch information in the MIDI. All of the notes play back with the correct articulation and you don't have to worry about starting mid-phrase as there are no lingering keyswitches that the sequencer would need to run to determine that info.

Peter, the man behind it, is also fantastically helpful and generally great.

T
Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 AM
Gold Member

Marcusmax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrack13 View Post
+1 on SkiSwitcher if you're in Logic. Started using it fairly recently and it's an absolutely essential part of my workflow now. The SkiSwitcher that I've been using (not the ArtzID one) essentially gives you entirely customizable keyswitch patches - load up to 16 patches on separate MIDI channels in your PLAY instance, then assign those all to a keyswitch in the Scripter. The double benefit is that the Script writes the information to the notes themselves, so you're not left with a bunch of keyswitch information in the MIDI. All of the notes play back with the correct articulation and you don't have to worry about starting mid-phrase as there are no lingering keyswitches that the sequencer would need to run to determine that info.

Peter, the man behind it, is also fantastically helpful and generally great.

T
Absolutely agree. The CC Cloner script which is part of the package is also an essential part of my setup. And Peter's support is indeed fantastic.

Hollywood Orchestra Gold / Hollywood Solo Instruments Gold / EWQLSO Platinum / Symphonic Choirs Gold / EW Solo Violin / Spaces / Stormdrum / The Dark Side / Ghostwriter / Ra + other libraries.

"Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." - Carl Jung

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marcusmax

CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/duberry
Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 AM
Gold Member

Jay Asher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay Asher

Yep.For me, the SkiSwitcher and VE Pro are almost must haves for serious orchestral sample and virtual instruments composition with Logic Pro.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

C4L88 is on a distinguished road

I really need to look into getting SkiSwitcher (although, after having to buy a new audio interface, I'll have to wait a bit)

The biggest thing to me is not having to worry about the keyswitch chasing. I don't mind if it shows up in the score because what I generally do is create a new "project alternative" where I delete all keyswitches and quantize the notes for clean export to put into Sibelius, but the ability to not have to worry about keyswitch chasing is worth the price alone in my eyes. The only other option is to enable MIDI note chasing in Logic's settings and drag the keyswitch all the way through the passage.

(Also, for any Logic user that didn't know about project alternatives, absolutely look into it. It's essentially like a "save as" within the project itself so you can switch versions of a project without having to make a new project file. Great for when a director wants small changes to a particular cue. It's the same concept as "chunks" in Digital Performer, however in Digital Performer you can save all your virtual instruments to the "V-rack" so they don't have to reload; Logic's alternatives have to re-load all your instruments, but if you are using VE Pro, this is not a problem)
-All Samples on External 4TB OWC Thunderybay 4
-Logic Pro X (10.3), OS X 10.11. (El Capitan)

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/conrad-robertson

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." -Gustav Mahler
Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 PM

Thank you all for your recommendation. I really appreciate your time and input. I have to confess to being a complete noob, because after seeing that SkiSwitcher was for use in Logic X, I wondered if something was available for my DAW. After googling for an articulation switcher for.....err, ummm, Cubase, the first hit was about the Expression Maps feature. D'oh!

Cubase has so much ground to cover and I'm trying to get my head around it and I forgot about that feature (seeing I haven't actually done any work with it yet). Please pardon my forgetfulness, but if I ever get into Logic X, I'll know of option to turn to. Sorry, and thanks again.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:10 AM
Silver Member

Aha, Cubase and Expression Maps! I've just downloaded the trial of Cubase and have been fiddling with it (getting a PC slave soon and thought it would be wise to learn a cross-platform software a bit better).

One of the things I really like about Expression Maps is how, once you've set up your maps, if you've labelled things consistently it allows you to copy/paste sections of MIDI data and it recognises which articulation to play based on how you've named the articulations within your Expression Map rather than simply MIDI channel number. If you've been consistent with building everything in your project/template so that you've got your MIDI channel numbers lined up, this shouldn't be an issue, but if, for example, you've got your strings mapped differently to your woodwinds then it could be helpfui.

Say you've got articulations labelled "Sus" and "Stac" in the Expression Map, in Flutes "Sus" = MIDI channel 3 and "Stac" = MIDI channel 8, but in Violins "Sus" = MIDI channel 1 and "Stac" = MIDI channel 13. The Expression Maps feature will read the "Sus" or "Stac" data and send the notes to the right MIDI channel in each patch, meaning that you can play in a Violin line and just swap it straight to Flutes and get the right playback.

One thing SkiSwitcher seems definitely better for is the CC Cloner, which allows you to omit sending certain CCs to certain channels. You want your Sus patches to have Expression and Modulation control, great, no problem, but you also want your Spiccato notes to be entirely velocity dependent so that it's easier to play a sustained line that fades out using expression and immediately come in with a sharply attacked staccato note. Without changing any settings, the expression for the Spiccato note and therefore its volume will be way down where the sustained note's expression went. With CC Cloner, it's possible to omit sending CCs to the MIDI channel that the Spiccato note is on so that you can fade down that sustained note to niente and the expression CC doesn't affect the Spiccato at all.

Not sure if you can do this in Cubase Expression Maps, but it would be great if you could!

T
Old 03-21-2017, 09:10 AM

I was thinking to try to learn two hosts for more flexibility, but I know now from how deep the learning curve for one DAW, I'll just be too far over my head. Maybe further down the road for me. Had no idea Expression Maps would look for articulations even on different channels. Pretty cool. Took a peek at your site, great work BTW.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Learning two DAWs is far too much effort, haha - I'm just planning for the future as I've recently ordered a Windows PC slave with more power than I'd ever be able to afford to put in a Mac and it makes sense to me to learn a DAW that works on both in case something goes horribly wrong! If you're on Cubase already, that's cross platform so it's probably safest to just stick with it. Logic is great and I love working in it, but it does have some limitations that Cubase doesn't in regards to the way I'd like to organise my workflow. It'll be back and forth for a bit probably, but we'll see where we end up.

Also, thanks! Glad you like it .

T
Closed Thread