Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware

Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Turner View Post
It's a 2012 MBP (i5 3210M). I've maxed out the RAM at 16GB.
You wouldn't benefit from using it as a slave, as that's where you want all the power and RAM.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:18 PM

Shane Turner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
You wouldn't benefit from using it as a slave, as that's where you want all the power and RAM.
I'm not sure it would be enough to run as a master either, I might have to cut corners too much in the mixes. For a 2012 MPB I can't complain too much: I'm running 60 stereo audio channels with izotope neutron on it right now and it's holding together.

What are you using as a master?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

Dont bother with the MBP as a slave computer. The slave comp does all of the heavy lifting and should have big ram and processing power.

My master is an i7 950 with 24gb ram - built 5+ years ago. My slave comp is an i7 4790k with 32gb.
Im about to build a new slave with 64gb ram and an i7 6xxx or 7xxx and make my current slave the master.

The slave comp is for all libs on CC+ and i want to use multiple mic positions for HO. I have a number of CPU heavy instruments from other devs that means my i7 950 is just not cutting it any more.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 AM

Thanks! That gives me a good idea what the performance requirements are for running a template of Hollywood articulations.

I ended up getting an i7 8 core decked out with 128 GB ram, to arrive (fingers crossed) at the end of the week. Hoping it's enough to be able to run a template with my favorite articulations from Hollywood Gold X, a few other EWQL libraries, and a bunch of Spitfire symphony instruments.

Maybe I'll see if the MBP can function as a master first then, especially if all I do is bounce stems. It would definitely make setting up the slave considerably easier--install VEP, the libraries, and I'm ready to go.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Turner View Post

I ended up getting an i7 8 core decked out with 128 GB ram, to arrive (fingers crossed) at the end of the week. Hoping it's enough to be able to run a template with my favorite articulations from Hollywood Gold X, a few other EWQL libraries, and a bunch of Spitfire symphony instruments.

Maybe I'll see if the MBP can function as a master first then, especially if all I do is bounce stems. It would definitely make setting up the slave considerably easier--install VEP, the libraries, and I'm ready to go.
I don't think you'll need a slave, that's a beast!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Yeah I aimed high, hoping the templates could handle those beastly legato patches, aside from everything else!
Old 03-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

tommyrack13 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, Shane that system sounds great - how's it working out for you?

Apologies for hijacking a little, but I'm putting together a slave of my own at the moment and had some queries regarding CPUs that I'm asking around about. I'm essentially PC illiterate, but the power is too great to ignore, so I'm going to have to go the somebody else building it for me route rather than just grabbing the components and putting them together myself. That said, I'm looking at a builder whose options for the CPU within my budget are the following (128GB RAM, internal SSD sample drives):

Intel Core i7 6900K Unlocked, Broadwell-E, 8 Core, 3.2GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo
Intel Core i7 6900K - Overclocked to 4.1GHz

Intel Xeon E5-2687W v4, 12 Core, 3GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo, 30MB, 40 Lane, 9.6GT/s QPI, 160W
Intel Xeon E5-2660 v4, 14 Core, 2GHz, 3.2GHz Turbo, 35MB, 40 Lane, 9.6GT/s QPI, 105W

Intel Xeon E5-2640 v4, Broadwell, 10 Core, 2.4GHz, 3.4GHz Turbo, 25MB cache
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4, Broadwell, 8 Core, 2.1GHz, 3GHz Turbo, 20MB cache

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2640 v4, Broadwell, 10 Core, 2.4GHz, 3.4GHz Turbo, 25MB cache (this one takes me 1k over budget, but it can be stretched if it's going to make that much of a difference)

Any thoughts on which of these would be best suited to run a 'load and leave' enormous one size fits all template via VEP networked to an iMac master (specs in sig)? The advice I've had from the builder is to go dual core (i.e. the most expensive option), but I hesitate because it's the most expensive option and don't want to be unhelpfully upsold, especially considering low clock speeds.

Thanks guys, all thoughts welcome!
Tom
Old 03-09-2017, 02:20 PM

Hi Tom,

My system is working out great.

I built a template in Vienna Ensemble Pro running into Cubase. My first template is about 450 channels at the moment, running some EWQL Hollywood/Symphonic Choirs, along with all of Spitfire Symphony and some Cinesamples and other things. These are all split across 6 instances of VEP, each assigned to one core (er, two virtual cores). Ram-wise, i still have about 50% left over :O and CPU-wise when nothing is running the template takes up ~30% cpu. i should mention that when using instruments, the CPU usage increases (obviously) but I've yet to max anything out to the point of glitching. Though I came close with my percussion instance maxxing out one cpu core.

My current cubase session with the new system, aside from the template, is also running about 100 channels of audio so far with eq and compression on almost every channel. I get occasional CPU spikes, but infrequent enough that they don't disrupt work. I'm able to manage CPU by muting things I've already rendered or disabling VEP instances when I'm not using them--I haven't needed to yet, but I've tested and it works quite well. If you went the i7 route, you might even be able to get away with more than I am, since you won't have the DAW running on the same system. (Also, my cpu isn't overclocked.)

I should also mention that my system so far has been every bit as solid as my mac. VEP crashed once in the past month--when I went to activate a Spitfire library. I was able to reload it and sync up all the instances without having to close cubase. Sweet. This is why i put the $$ into VEP.

I'm a little confused by your tech guy's recommendation for dual core, did he mean dual xeon cpus? I really can't answer whether or not the extra cores would be okay with the lower clock speeds. This video helped shed some light on things for me: (long, but even the first 5-10 minutes summarizes it quite nicely): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

The only way to know for sure would be to buy two computers and compare, haha!

Still though, no complaints here so far, and going the i7 route left me more money for SSD and RAM in the budget (not to mention new libraries). Anyway I can't completely answer your question, but I hope this helps you with your purchasing decision, good luck!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Check out the Intel Core i7-6950X 25M Broadwell-E 10-Core

Over clock this and you'll have a monster system....
Old 03-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdsee View Post
Check out the Intel Core i7-6950X 25M Broadwell-E 10-Core

Over clock this and you'll have a monster system....
I nearly went that route and almost wish I had! Price/performance ratio won out in the end. But that really would be a monster.