Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:33 AM

composerman is on a distinguished road
Default Workstation PC for Hollywood Orchestra DIAMOND

I am planning to purchase Hollywood Orchestra (Diamond) sometime over the next couple months. However, I would like to make sure that my PC will be able to run it without issues. My specs are below:

DAW: Cubase 8.5 Pro
CPU: Intel i7-6850K 6-Core 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe ii (LGA 2011-v3)
RAM: 64GB (16GB x 4 Quad Channel)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 470
Storage for OS: SSD 250GB (Samsung Evo 850)
Storage for sample libraries: SSD 1TB (Samsung Evo 850)
Other storage: HDD 1TB
Audio Interface: Audient iD14 (USB 2.0)

I currently use numerous EastWest/QuantumLeap products through the basic composer cloud. I am currently using Hollywood Orchestra library (Gold, not Diamond) without problems, except random and frequent CPU spikes (causing pops/crackles) that occur unless I increase my buffer size (which happens only for Play Engine-based libraries). I have no problem recording with buffer size of of 128-256 with Other VSTs/libraries combined including Omnisphere, RMX, and various third-party Kontakt-based libraries. However, when I use any Play engine-based instruments (especially StormDrum 3), I have to increase my buffer size to 512 or above to prevent random CPU spikes. All my drivers (including audio and video card drivers) are up-to-date.

Considering that the Diamond version of Hollywood Orchestra is more resource demanding than the Gold version, should I expect problems with my PC specs? I do not have a slave machine.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Dominik Raab is on a distinguished road

Your RAM and SSD (do install HS Diamond on the SSD!) should be sufficient. I don't have any experience with CPU spikes on my system, so I don't know if they'll intensify with the more demanding libraries. Then again, I'm always at a 512 buffer size. I do hope someone else can help you there.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:46 AM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Your system is close to mine except I use Pro Tools. You should be able to Over Clock your CPU to 4.3-4.4Ghz if it's an average chip. This will yield some added performance. Also make sure there's no unnecessary background services running, etc. Here's some W10 optimizations you can try.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-on-Windows-10

I'm still using Play 4
So if your on Play 5 try the different streaming settings, etc.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the reply! I just realized that a f.lux software (removes blue light, similar to night shift mode on iOS) which I have running in the background is the culprit for the random CPU spikes! After uninstalling it, it fixed the random spikes.

My PC can now handle PLAY instruments including Hollywood Orchestra Gold (via standard Composer Cloud) with buffer of around 256 (or even below) without issues so far, although still more demanding than Kontakt instruments. How much more demanding is Diamond versus Gold version of Hollywood Orchestra?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

jamieboo is on a distinguished road

That's interesting about f.lux.
I use it and haven't noticed any huge problems, but I wonder if I would get better performance without it.
Did you actually uninstall it, or simply deactivate it?
Hollywood Orchestra Diamond
EWQLSO Platinum
https://soundcloud.com/jamie-treacher
Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 AM

I did not try deactivating f.lux. I just uninstalled it completely, and the random CPU spikes with PLAY instruments disappeared!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by composerman View Post
Thanks for the reply! I just realized that a f.lux software

Good deal!
Always best to disable/remove unnecessary background etc services.
Did you discover it using Task Manager analysis?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdsee View Post
Good deal!
Always best to disable/remove unnecessary background etc services.
Did you discover it using Task Manager analysis?
I did not discover it using task manager or any of those latency monitoring software. I randomly played around with turning on/off or uninstalling background programs until I found out that it was f.lux.
Closed Thread

Tags
cpu, cubase, diamond, hollywood orchestra, windows