Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 AM
Gold Member

LMG is on a distinguished road
Default Is this legal ?

I was wondering if the following situation is in accordance with the End User License Agreement for EastWest's products.

An artist/band is recording an album and wants to add some orchestra to his songs. So they hire you to orchestrate it, and actually render some tracks using EWQLSO or the Hollywood series.

Then the artist releases their album commercially in stores, and he makes money out of it.

Have you, as the legit license owner of EW's product, infringed the End User License Agreement in some way?

Thank you.

Last edited by admin; 03-15-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:42 AM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

No
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

No, because the licensed user is doing the work. Many of our users create music for media that is then used by their client, this use is in compliance with our end user license agreement (EULA).
Old 03-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Diamond Member

Jeff Hayat is on a distinguished road

So, if another composer reaches out to me, and says, "Jeff - I see you have EW Choirs. I am scoring a film that needs some choirs, but I have no choir libs in my arsenal. I will send you some MIDI data consisting of lines I have written for for SATB, please import that into your sequencer, let that data trigger the EW choir patches, render that to audio, send me the .wav, and I will pay you $X."

Is this not allowed?
Old 03-15-2017, 02:21 PM
Gold Member

Im pretty sure you're allowed to do that, cause you're the one doing the work with the actual product. As Admin already said "the licensed user is doing the work".

But in reality why would someone want to do that? I mean (and you already know a lot more about this than me) you can't just record some midi using mircosoft wavtable sounds and expect it to sound great when played back using any EWQL instrument. The performance (keys+modwheel) has a lot to say, but there's also some additional tweaking involved when working with EW Choirs and Wordbuilder.
If this composer have never tried EW Choir and don't know how it works then i think he/she will have a hard time creating convincing choir parts. That means that you as the owner of the EW Choir would have to do all the necessary adjustments after being sent the midi file. Meaning you would have to charge a lot more, but then the other composer could just as well sign up for a 1 month subscription to CC and do it him/herself.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Diamond Member

Jeff Hayat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten Gjermundsen View Post
Im pretty sure you're allowed to do that, cause you're the one doing the work with the actual product. As Admin already said "the licensed user is doing the work".
Right - just asking anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten Gjermundsen View Post

But in reality why would someone want to do that? I mean (and you already know a lot more about this than me) you can't just record some midi using mircosoft wavtable sounds and expect it to sound great when played back using any EWQL instrument. The performance (keys+modwheel) has a lot to say, but there's also some additional tweaking involved when working with EW Choirs and Wordbuilder.
If this composer have never tried EW Choir and don't know how it works then i think he/she will have a hard time creating convincing choir parts. That means that you as the owner of the EW Choir would have to do all the necessary adjustments after being sent the midi file. Meaning you would have to charge a lot more, but then the other composer could just as well sign up for a 1 month subscription to CC and do it him/herself.
Well, I am the one creating convincing choir parts - based on the other guy's MIDI data. They write a melody on piano, do the harmonization, saying, "ok, the choir parts are this, and they should sound as they do in my head if realized properly", so I do the tweaking, and the modwheel work, and the volume balancing, etc, and the other guy gets the wav file of the finished product.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:57 AM

Janicek is on a distinguished road

Right, but what if a band comes into your studio and wants to use some of your equipment to write and record during the session?

I mean with traditional gear such as say a Hammond Organ or that snazzy Martin guitar in the corner, they can do what they like.

So a band or artist might want strings on their track. They want to play the parts not get you to do it. Your studio advertises its rig including XGB of Top Of The Range Samples.

But under most EULAs, is this permitted?

Because I doubt many songwriters would necessarily want the studio engineer to write their parts, especially if it becomes successful as they might have a stake in royalties.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:13 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

You guys are splitting hairs

In that case, is the engineer going to run over to the keyboardist and shout "Whoa!!! You can't do that, I am the license owner!!"?
Old 03-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janicek View Post
Right, but what if a band comes into your studio and wants to use some of your equipment to write and record during the session?

I mean with traditional gear such as say a Hammond Organ or that snazzy Martin guitar in the corner, they can do what they like.

So a band or artist might want strings on their track. They want to play the parts not get you to do it. Your studio advertises its rig including XGB of Top Of The Range Samples.

But under most EULAs, is this permitted?

Because I doubt many songwriters would necessarily want the studio engineer to write their parts, especially if it becomes successful as they might have a stake in royalties.
I can recall having a discussion about this years ago when Doug Rogers chimed in - his position was that anyone using the software must have an individual license; so, for example, a composer assistant who helps with midi mockups should have his own license.

Extrapolating this example, anyone walking into your studio can't use the EW samples for their project unless they have an individual license.

Obviously it is a different matter whether anyone is ever going to figure out whether the EW EULA was violated but my advice is to not take any risks in a professional situation. If anyone wants to fiddle on the midi keyboard themselves just have them take out a cloud subscription for eg one month. For $30 you're all legit.

Last edited by admin; 03-18-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
I can recall having a discussion about this years ago when Doug Rogers chimed in - his position was that anyone using the software must have an individual license; so, for example, a composer assistant who helps with midi mockups should have his own license.
I think what Doug meant was that if the producer has a license on his computer, the assistant would need a license on his computer as well, even when they're working on the same project. Either in the studio or if one of them want to take the project home and work from there. But if everything is done on one computer i dont think so. That's why EWQL is offering machine licenses, cause it tied to a spesific computer.

Quote:
Extrapolating this example, anyone walking into your studio can't use the EW samples for their project unless they have an individual license.
I don't think so. That's like saying "sorry, i can't let you record your band here unless all the members have their own license of Pro Tools/Cubase or whatever.

I don't think any studio will let their clients (musicians) sit in front of their main computer. But if the keyboard player ask for some lush strings and then the producer/recording engineer loads up some EW strings, and says "lets try some of these.." then i dont think there would be any legal problems. The licensed user (the studio) is still doing the work and the client is paying the studio to do this work.
Closed Thread