Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > General Discussion (no support posts)

Old 03-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Diamond Member

peter5992 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten Gjermundsen View Post

But if the keyboard player ask for some lush strings and then the producer/recording engineer loads up some EW strings, and says "lets try some of these.." then i dont think there would be any legal problems. The licensed user (the studio) is still doing the work and the client is paying the studio to do this work.
That's not how I understand it -- the way I understand it, is that whoever is using the EW libraries, has to have an individual license.

The test is not "who is doing the work" --- that is impossible to determine anyways.

Licenses are not issued to studios and whoever is working there, they are always individual.

EW can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:38 AM
Administrator

admin has disabled reputation

It's a "End User License Agreement" (EULA); if you are not a licensed user you have no right to do anything with our products under any circumstances.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

Hmm.. Interesting. But in my example the keyboardist is not really using the software. He/she is just pressing the keys on a midi keyboard, then the mididata is sent to the computer in the control room from where the licensed user is controlling the software and loading up the sounds.
Is this not allowed?
Old 03-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Hmm.. Interesting. But in my example the keyboardist is not really using the software. He/she is just pressing the keys on a midi keyboard, then the mididata is sent to the computer in the control room from where the licensed user is controlling the software and loading up the sounds.
Is this not allowed?
No, unless he's got a license.

Your keyboardist is using the software. Otherwise anyone can say "well I'm just pressing keys on a midi keyboard. I don't know what happens after that ... my computer is really using the software, not me."

We're getting into splitting hair territory ... for all practical intents and purposes, this should never be an issue. If someone walks into your studio and hears the great sounds of EW, just have him or her buy a cloud license, or buy it for him or her, and add it to your fee. If $30 is an issue then you're not working with the right people.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

Morten Gjermundsen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Morten Gjermundsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
No, unless he's got a license.

Your keyboardist is using the software. Otherwise anyone can say "well I'm just pressing keys on a midi keyboard. I don't know what happens after that ... my computer is really using the software, not me."
Yes. There's a good chance that you're right. But...
That means that every band/artist that want their tracks recorded need a licence to Pro Tools as well, if that's what the studio is using, cause their EULA says :
"1.4.The software may be used concurrently by a number of individuals equal to or less than the number of concurrent user licenses you have purchased". and "3.3. No software hosting or rental. You may not make the software available for others to copy or use".

Just saying.

Quote:
We're getting into splitting hair territory ... for all practical intents and purposes, this should never be an issue. If someone walks into your studio and hears the great sounds of EW, just have him or her buy a cloud license, or buy it for him or her, and add it to your fee. If $30 is an issue then you're not working with the right people.
I agree it shouldn't be an issue. He/she should either come prepared with his/her own sounds or pay $30 for these sounds, which is nothing considering the high quality sounds you get.

I remember i asked a keyboardist about which orchestral sounds he used for their album and his reply was "I don't know, we just used what the studio had".
Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

Raden Agung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
It's a "End User License Agreement" (EULA); if you are not a licensed user you have no right to do anything with our products under any circumstances.
Agree with this. That's why i never let my client use it if they don't have any license of EW. If band/artist want to use it i will say "Let me to do it". If they aren't satisfied with my arrangement then "Say your notes and i will play it". But mostly my client is satisfied with what i have done. To me EWQL is too precious. That's it.

Last edited by admin; 03-21-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

LMG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspencer View Post
You guys are splitting hairs

In that case, is the engineer going to run over to the keyboardist and shout "Whoa!!! You can't do that, I am the license owner!!"?
LOL !!!! Best post in years! Hilarious !!!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:01 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes. There's a good chance that you're right. But...
That means that every band/artist that want their tracks recorded need a licence to Pro Tools as well, if that's what the studio is using, cause their EULA says :
"1.4.The software may be used concurrently by a number of individuals equal to or less than the number of concurrent user licenses you have purchased". and "3.3. No software hosting or rental. You may not make the software available for others to copy or use".

Just saying.
Different situation ... they are not using Pro Tools, they are being recorded by the studio and its engineers. The studio has a PT license. I don't know what the Avid Pro Tools license says about all of this by the way, and whether a studio needs an individual license for every single engineer or intern who has some kind of job setting up the session, wiring up microphones etc etc etc. I suspect not.