Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

nitrocan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjbaumann View Post
You've just made my decision a lot more difficult 2x ethernet ports is good, but I'm hoping that with this new machine, (plus my slave pc) I won't need to upgrade again for a very, very long time, so hopefully 1 slave and 1 host will be enough for now. 64GB is good, but again, I'm using HWGold so don't think I need a combined 128GB of RAM right now. My template (at full) is only hitting 50GB or so at the moment just on the slave. How important is the graphics card if I'm doing logic (with video). Would the AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5 be good enough for composing to film?
Pretty sure the GPU won't be a bottleneck for composing for film. You're not rendering anything. You don't even really need a GPU to play movies.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:16 AM
Silver Member

JBlongz is on a distinguished road

I went to the Apple store to buy a maxed out iMac, but left with a retina macbook pro 15" maxed out. Never looked back. You can fit all plugins and essential libraries on the internal drive and have an amazing portable studio in one bag.

When I'm home, I use a thunderbolt dock (with ethernet port) to connect 2 external monitors, 10 usb devices (with a 10 port powered USB3 hub), external thunderbolt SSDs (for the other large, non-essential libraries), and thunderbolt interface (UAD). If you need more ethernet, you can buy Belken ethernet switch for a reasonable prices.

I really like the idea of not having to bounce stems (or bounce at all) to showcase some music at another studio. I can even edit to the client's desire right there. A huge advantage to impress customers and save time. Back at your main studio, you just plug in ONE CABLE

Last edited by JBlongz; 09-30-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

pmjbaumann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post
I went to the Apple store to buy a maxed out iMac, but left with a retina macbook pro 15" maxed out. Never looked back. You can fit all plugins and essential libraries on the internal drive and have an amazing portable studio in one bag.

When I'm home, I use a thunderbolt dock (with ethernet port) to connect 2 external monitors, 10 usb devices (with a 10 port powered USB3 hub), external thunderbolt SSDs (for the other large, non-essential libraries), and thunderbolt interface (UAD). If you need more ethernet, you can buy Belken ethernet switch for a reasonable prices.

I really like the idea of not having to bounce stems (or bounce at all) to showcase some music at another studio. I can even edit to the client's desire right there. A huge advantage to impress customers and save time. Back at your main studio, you just plug in ONE CABLE
Thanks for the advice, pretty much settled on the iMac though as portability isn't a huge concern for me at the moment, but also I want the most power for my money, and there is a fair bit of compromise in that regard for a smaller screen and added portability.
Software: Logic Pro X, VEPro Server.
Libraries: HO Gold, Pianos, Silk, Goliath, SD2 Pro, Solo Violin, Symphonic Choirs Gold, Voices of Passion, Spaces.
www.peterbaumann.co.uk
Closed Thread