Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 08:59 PM

Lievito is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrade necessary, help needed

Hello everyone
Sorry for missing english, i'm italian.

I'm running hollywood serie in my mac, you can see specs below in signature.
I started to build a template with a lot of instruments but built in an intelligent way: i made single instances of Play running single instruments (like Violin I) so that i could avoid loading other samples into memory using them only once for patches that share them.
I've not exceeded choosing patches, for example i didn't took bow change patches and slur ones but only portamento, by the way it's really important to me to have powerful system loaded cause i personally love not using a lot of vibrato in strings even if the volume is loud and the normal patches don't allow it.
So i used a total of 8 Gb ram for all the template, turning off all the position of each string that i don't use.
I'm actually working on a disney style song, the one of the cruel/ antagonist, that i posted below, at the start everything is working, staccato samples are easy to play, but in the last part i needed to stop because using too much legato makes pop, crackle and many times logic stops with Audio engine overload pop-up.
I don't really understand what is the problem, i suppose is a ram problem, the cpu seems not to be stressed that much in the task msg, and i stream samples from 2 ssds wich are running fast (like 400/500 mb/s).

https://soundcloud.com/filippoberetta/moises-3815

I had these tries to understand what can be the problem.
Using the sample purge of play all starts working fluently, this makes me think it can't be a problem of sample streaming.
I tried to charge Violin I totally into ram (cause i'm streaming samples from ssds) and its a disaster, everything stops, crackle, pop and fireworks.
I tryed to unload legato patches and i've seen that if i stay about around 6GB of ram everything is working.
I actually think (but it can be only superstition) that my ram is used a lot for cache files and that way it doesn't work properly (Play tells me that Ram is full even if it is not full but filled by cache ram).
If you could help me solving this problem without upgrades i would be really happy.

If it's impossible to solve it without sacrificing patches, I thought, reading the forum (it's three years i'm silently reading the forum xD), that upgrading my system now would mean buying a pc slave. i have around 2000$ to do that; assembly it by myself seems only solution, and i really need help choosing parts.
I would like to be able to work with hollywood without problems of any kind, stage microphone position is enough for me. If that would mean have more money to spend i can wait.

Thanks for reading, i wrote really a lot sorry.
Os x Yosemite
Old 08-27-2015, 06:14 PM

I've installed vep pro 5 and hosted the instruments in many instances of vep, one for each section. It is running better but still have problems: now the system doesn't stop and it works fluently, although when i reach parts with many instruments i still get drop notes.
I really don't know...
Os x Yosemite
Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Diamond Member

jspencer is on a distinguished road

Are you using an audio interface?
Old 08-31-2015, 02:08 PM

I have a duet 2, product of Apogee, the point is: if I close or unload many instruments in my template, everything starts working fine. I personally suspect it must be a problem of Ram/Software.
Os x Yosemite
Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

trumpoz is on a distinguished road

What buffer are you running? Have you tried increasing your max voices in Play?

Last edited by trumpoz; 08-31-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:38 PM

I have a buffer size of 512 tried many changes on it but it seems thats not the problem, i had a core test on my cpu and it seems i'm using it alot.
Is it possible that a good i7 intel mac have problems with what i'm doing because it get overloaded on a single core?
Os x Yosemite
Closed Thread