Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 PM

Fredy is on a distinguished road

Well THAT was the most useful Youtube video I have ever seen!

Absolutely brilliant!

Now question is, how to proceed. Need more Ram for sure, which means I HAVE to upgrade the ENTIRE system. What do you lovely people think?

1: Check current Hardware to find potentially problematic devices.
2: Once/if found, replace them in the new system build.
3: Research hardware to try and find the most stable non glitchy hardware
4: Spend too much money and feel guilty when my wife looks at me
5: Buy her flowers to make up for it
6: Promise i will never do it again

So here is my question now, has anyone who has run these tests have any recommendations on SSDs, CPUs (has to be XEON for 128GB ram) and Ram?

Thanks

DAW: Logic Pro X

Main Mac - Retina Macbook Pro 15" 2014,Yosemite OSX10.10, 512GB SSD Boot Drive, 16GB Ram, 2.5 GHz i7.

Vienna Ensemble Pro 5

Slave PC - 3.5ghz i7 Haswell 4770k, 32gb RAM, 2X256GB
SSD, 1X500GB HDD.

G-Raid mini 500GB NTFS External Hard Drive for other Samples/Sample Backup interchangeable between Mac and PC.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”
Old 09-11-2015, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

pmjbaumann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredy View Post
Well THAT was the most useful Youtube video I have ever seen!

Absolutely brilliant!

Now question is, how to proceed. Need more Ram for sure, which means I HAVE to upgrade the ENTIRE system. What do you lovely people think?

1: Check current Hardware to find potentially problematic devices.
2: Once/if found, replace them in the new system build.
3: Research hardware to try and find the most stable non glitchy hardware
4: Spend too much money and feel guilty when my wife looks at me
5: Buy her flowers to make up for it
6: Promise i will never do it again

So here is my question now, has anyone who has run these tests have any recommendations on SSDs, CPUs (has to be XEON for 128GB ram) and Ram?

Thanks
Glad you liked it! Sadly I can't take the credit for finding it, can't remember if it was on this forum or another I came across it. I didn't even know there was a difference in terms of real-time and cpu performance, and that video is so clear and simple in its explanation I feel like I know so much already about how my system works, which makes setting things up a lot easier.

I've got the Samsung 850 Evo which is quite a popular SSD, but I don't have anything to compare it with. I've only got 64GB RAM and have literally just filled (almost) all of it up making a template with all of my libraries (see signature), so I'd definitely recommend getting more if you're planning on doing similar. I know nothing about Xeon CPUs sorry!
Software: Logic Pro X, VEPro Server.
Libraries: HO Gold, Pianos, Silk, Goliath, SD2 Pro, Solo Violin, Symphonic Choirs Gold, Voices of Passion, Spaces.
www.peterbaumann.co.uk
Old 09-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

mrdsee is on a distinguished road

You can go 128gb without a XEON CPU. Using the 5820k or ever better the 5960X CPU's which would allow for over clocking
http://www.pcworld.com/article/29388...-ddr4-ram.html
Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM

Fredy is on a distinguished road

Hmm, The intel website says the 5820k and the 5960x only support 64gb?

DAW: Logic Pro X

Main Mac - Retina Macbook Pro 15" 2014,Yosemite OSX10.10, 512GB SSD Boot Drive, 16GB Ram, 2.5 GHz i7.

Vienna Ensemble Pro 5

Slave PC - 3.5ghz i7 Haswell 4770k, 32gb RAM, 2X256GB
SSD, 1X500GB HDD.

G-Raid mini 500GB NTFS External Hard Drive for other Samples/Sample Backup interchangeable between Mac and PC.

“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”
Old 09-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

ptsmith is on a distinguished road

Thinking out loud:

At newegg, 128GB of RAM in 8x16 is $1,142, in 16x8 it's $571. A Xeon E5-1650 V3 3.5GHz 6 core is $605. The i7 4790K 4.0GHz quad core is $340.

It seems to me that you could build two 64GB slaves for not much more then one 128GB slave, and the two would perform better, possibly much better, than the single slave.
Closed Thread