Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

jamieboo is on a distinguished road

Yeah, too much of a bother at the moment I think - but thanks LMW for breaking it all down there. I may well come back to your instruction - just not at the moment.

I reckon for now I'll put it on my Western Digital HDD - that's what Platinum Plus was on on my old machine so at least I know it works!

Thanks folks!
Old 09-16-2015, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Patanjali is on a distinguished road

@jamieboo,

You appear to have enough space for ALL the 24bit samples, so just having all of them is a lot simpler exercise, as you just need the particular base folders, rather than dealing with drilling down to particular sample folders and files.

The SO stuff is recorded in a different space, with a classical intent, so they may suit some circumstances better, so you may want to have the complete library, rather than just the gaps.

It's like you can have both the Gypsy violin AND Solo Violin.
HW: Nmn U87Ai : JA-251x2 : Korg padKontrol+nanoKEY2 : No audio for now : M-Patch2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win8.1P64 : Cubase 8.0.20 : Goliath : SO PP : Pianos : Gypsy : SV : Sup/Drum 2.0 : AT7 : Ozone 6Ad : RX3Ad.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

Yes, but as I understand it the process involves installing everything, then uninstalling the 16bit stuff - and I don't have SSD space for that initial full installation.
So I would have to fully install it somewhere else first and then copy the required folders across - that full installation would be either on my WD HDD or the Touro HDD - and as I know the WD is quick enough for streaming Platinum I may as well just keep it there.
(I may be missing something obvious here though! I usually am!)
Old 09-16-2015, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

Patanjali is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboo View Post
Yes, but as I understand it the process involves installing everything, then uninstalling the 16bit stuff ...
If you are installing from scratch, you have the choice to install which parts you want.
HW: Nmn U87Ai : JA-251x2 : Korg padKontrol+nanoKEY2 : No audio for now : M-Patch2 : Tannoy Reveal Active+TS-12.
SW: Win8.1P64 : Cubase 8.0.20 : Goliath : SO PP : Pianos : Gypsy : SV : Sup/Drum 2.0 : AT7 : Ozone 6Ad : RX3Ad.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

Ooh! Do I?

And there's the obvious thing I was missing!

I didn't realise / had forgotten that the installer gives such options!

Thanks Patanjali
Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Right. I think I've done that, and I think it's ok. Thanks!

One thing...
When I installed HO Diamond I chose the option of installing the licence on the computer rather than the iLok. Orchestra Platinum however IS on the iLok.
In iLok license Manager is there any way I can transfer these licences to my PC? The Transfer option seems to be greyed out.
Maybe I could Deactivate, the Reactivate on my computer?
I don't really need portability and I'd rather not have one of my USB ports taken up with a precarious plastic key dongle.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

**EDIT - It's ok, I figured it out with some drag/drop experimentation!**

Last edited by jamieboo; 09-17-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:38 PM

Les P is on a distinguished road
Default Which Drive to Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieboo View Post
Thanks Patanjali!
Would that kind of selective installation be straightforward though?
And, just as a matter of interest, I'm still curious about my original question: Which drive will provide better performance - my old Western Digital Caviar Black HDD, or the Touro USB drive that HO was delivered on?
Thanks
If the Western Digital is 3.0, and 7200 RPM, it would be okay for the older, e.g. Goliath, samples, as would the Touro.
My understanding, as yours must be, is that the HS stuff needs to be SSD only.
I have my older stuff like Goliath and Stormdrum 2 running from an 800 FW 7200 HD. Pretty soon they are going inside on an mSATA SSD attached to the PCIe card.
I hope this helps.
ATi 5770 1GB VRAM Graphics Card, 1TB PCIe SSD, 500 GB PCIe SSD, USB 3.0 PCIe Card (A custom build by Todd Pearson, Kenmore, WA) FW800 Glyph Drive. Logic 10.2.3, Hollywood Orchestra Diamond, SO Gold, VOP, Goliath, SD2, Gypsy, Silk, MOR, MOR2, Fab Four, SD3, QL Pianos Platinum
Closed Thread

Tags
lmw, selective installation