Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

pmjbaumann is on a distinguished road
Default Macbook Pro or iMac 5k?

I'm thinking of getting a new host system as mine isn't overly powerful and as soon as I load a couple of instances of spaces it quickly struggles. I think I'll probably go for the 4GHz imac 5k, but wanted to see if anyone has any better suggestions. I was also considering the macbook pro but I've just discovered there's no ethernet port which is very annoying as I use it as a host with an ethernet connected slave pc. I'm sure there are adapters, but also the screen size is almost half the imac, although the tradeoff is the lack of portability with the imac! For the imac I would upgrade the ram myself as it's not worth paying apple's premium for getting it installed at factory rather than myself! Don't know if this can be done for the macbook pro.
Software: Logic Pro X, VEPro Server.
Libraries: HO Gold, Pianos, Silk, Goliath, SD2 Pro, Solo Violin, Symphonic Choirs Gold, Voices of Passion, Spaces.
www.peterbaumann.co.uk
Old 09-13-2015, 06:21 AM
Gold Member

Jay Asher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay Asher

There is simply no disputing that with Macs you give up a lot of bang for the buck for portability. If you need that, you need that but my perception is that a lot of people do so because thy think its the cool thing to have, not because it is the best choice.

IMHO, not even a close call, buy the i7 iMac.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Yeah, I think I'll go for the iMac 5k, as the lack of ethernet is a bit of an issue on the macbook, and the screensize and quality is just amazing on the iMac. Do you recommend the fusion drive or is that one to avoid? Annoyingly they've also made it so you can't take the stand off to attach the vesa mounts on the 5k's - there's always some drawback with each model!
Libraries: HO Gold, Pianos, Silk, Goliath, SD2 Pro, Solo Violin, Symphonic Choirs Gold, Voices of Passion, Spaces.
www.peterbaumann.co.uk
Old 09-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

oleJoergensen is on a distinguished road

You can get a Thunderbolt/ Ethernet or USB3/ Ethernet adaptor.
But I would also Chose the iMac 32GB Ram, the Best CPU and PCI flash drive for OS.
Im not sure about the 5K screen, it just seems ekstra bucks.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleJoergensen View Post
You can get a Thunderbolt/ Ethernet or USB3/ Ethernet adaptor.
But I would also Chose the iMac 32GB Ram, the Best CPU and PCI flash drive for OS.
Im not sure about the 5K screen, it just seems ekstra bucks.
As far as I can see the most powerful non-5k iMac is 3.2GHz, rather than the 4GHz offered with the 5k iMac, which is why I was going for that one.
www.peterbaumann.co.uk
Old 09-14-2015, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjbaumann View Post
As far as I can see the most powerful non-5k iMac is 3.2GHz, rather than the 4GHz offered with the 5k iMac, which is why I was going for that one.
Thats clever :-)
Lets know how it handles.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

Would you guys still go for the iMac over the Mac Pro which costs about 250 more than the iMac (doesn't have a display so the cost of that would be extra)?

Quad-Core and Dual GPU
3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
12GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
Dual AMD FirePro D300
with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM each
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
www.peterbaumann.co.uk
Old 09-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

If you can afford it, yes!
2x ethernet ports ( you can connect 2x Ve-Pro slaves), 5 or 6 thunderbolt (can't remember), room for 64 GB or more RAM, dual graphic card, I think the xeon cpu is better then the i7 in the iMac, much better cooling I believe.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

You've just made my decision a lot more difficult 2x ethernet ports is good, but I'm hoping that with this new machine, (plus my slave pc) I won't need to upgrade again for a very, very long time, so hopefully 1 slave and 1 host will be enough for now. 64GB is good, but again, I'm using HWGold so don't think I need a combined 128GB of RAM right now. My template (at full) is only hitting 50GB or so at the moment just on the slave. How important is the graphics card if I'm doing logic (with video). Would the AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5 be good enough for composing to film?
www.peterbaumann.co.uk
Old 09-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

and for 20 or so I can get something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS10...litter+gigabit
www.peterbaumann.co.uk
Closed Thread