Go Back   Soundsonline-Forums > Topics > Hardware
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:09 PM

Shane Turner is on a distinguished road
Default Optimization: Performance differences between Win and OSX (on same machine)

So I have an i5 macbook pro with 16gb RAM (two USB 3.0 external drives for samples, one SSD and one LaCie 7200rpm) with bootcamp, and I'm trying to find the optimal setup for my system. I tested with one Pro Tools session running 3 instances of PLAY (about 40 instruments) on both operating systems:

-in Windows 8.1 (in PT11) I can play with the occasional pop here and there, but overall it's fine. CPU in Pro Tools maxes out at about 50% usage.

-in a clean install of Mavericks (in PT11) the same session stays at around 40-50% but whenever it gets too busy Pro tools claims that I've run out of CPU and the session grinds to a halt. This means I can't play the session in real time. Raising the buffer doesn't help. I don't actually see the CPU meter getting anywhere near 100%--it just stops working. Perhaps the CPU usage spikes too quickly for it to show up in CPU monitoring?

Anybody else run into issues like this? I've been trying a lot of things in terms of reconfiguring over the past 2 weeks (even have tried different Mac OS installs and versions!). I'm wondering why I get slightly better performance in Windows 8 on the same machine. I tend to prefer OSX so I would be curious if there are more things I can try.

(Lastly, my 7200 rpm drive seems to perform quite differently depending on the OS and file system, but that's another story that I need to test further--suffice to say, if the tools are to be trusted, when the drive filesystem is NTFS, I get 130mb/s read speeds in Windows, but only 100mb/s in OSX when the drive file format is HFS.)
Old 09-30-2015, 05:29 AM
Silver Member

JBlongz is on a distinguished road

ProTools has some hard-locked optimizations that don't always play nice with mac...and OS X can also randomly invoke spotlight indexing which affects performance during the process (but I like spotlight too much to tamper with it). Are you using a sample rate higher than 41k?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:03 AM

Shane Turner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post
ProTools has some hard-locked optimizations that don't always play nice with mac...and OS X can also randomly invoke spotlight indexing which affects performance during the process (but I like spotlight too much to tamper with it). Are you using a sample rate higher than 41k?
Thanks, that may be worth playing with if I'm in a long session. There's tools on the PC side like latency checkers that let you know if you may be having issues with other software or hardware on your system.. I'll have to look into tweaking the mac side a little more I guess.

My sample rate for the above session was 48.. I suppose that can be lowered if need be and then do the rest of the post production work in higher sampling rates..

Someday hopefully I'll get an octa core and this will all be a moot point
Closed Thread